Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:54:22 PM

Author Topic: Power Supply Question / Problem  (Read 5721 times)

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Power Supply Question / Problem
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well!
I built my power supply from a Micro wave transformer, bridge rectifier two large filter caps.
It has worked very well. However twice now when I turn the power on it trips the circuit breaker
in the panel. Once it blew my breakout board + a Gecko drive. This last time no appearant damage.
The output voltage is 72VDC to the Gecko drives.
I'm just wondering if when it sets for a weekend or its cooler (50F) over the weekend, if the inrush
current is causing some sort of problem.
All the wiring is ok, as I double checked it many times.
Any idea's are welcome!
olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998
Re: Power Supply Question / Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
Hi, I'm currently building a servo system and thinking about the same problems. It's not finished yet so I haven't tested it. If the problem is inrush current then perhaps connecting an NTC thermistor in series with the primary winding of the tranformer should work. The thermistor will have a high resistance when cold and as the current flowing through it heats it up the resistance lowers providing more current to the transformer. This provides a slow startup sort of thing. You will need to provide a switch (contactor) on a timer to short across the thermistor otherwise the thermistor will be very hot,burnout or cause more problems if left to it's self.

Another thing I was concerned about with my power supply was the voltage is near the 80v limit for Gecko servo drives. At 74 volts I got worried and searched CNC Zone for a few answers. I managed to download this circuit diagram for an over voltage protection circuit originally created by Gecko.

I have enclosed it here. I havn't built it so I cannot guarantee if it works.

Hope this is helpful.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 01:05:20 AM »
Hi, olf20

The breaker may be weak or undersized and spiking due to in-rush & out-rush when the breaker trip's.

After the Power-Supply start-up/stabilizes, That's after the brown-out is over, lights back to normal.

How about a switch or relay to turn on your Drives & the 5 volt supply power.

Converted a bridge-port size mill with servos over to Gecko's with 75 volt power supply wired the relay to the E-Stop Button Reset.

Also depending on the size of your Capacitors maybe you only need one for needed filtering, That would decrease the in-rush time.

Not an expert hear.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the replys!

cjmerlin, I think that I might try your idea. I read a series of threads on CNC forum and a couple of guys
discussed the same problem / ideas's.

Chip, I think the breaker is fine although its worth trying another one. It has never tripped in 8 years
until I put the CNC Mill on this circuit.

Thanks for the replys!!
olf20
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:31:01 AM »
Hi, It just sounds like a sensitive breaker. When I first built the power supply I tested with no load and the second time I switched it on it tripped the breaker in the house. I hate the damn things but I suppose one day they'll save my life.

If you are going to try the thermistor idea then make sure it is a NTC type and will handle the current at it's lowest resistance. It will only need to be in circuit for a short time. I used a contactor to short across it which was connected to a circuit I made using a NE555 timer connected to a small relay to power the contactor coil. I cant remember the timing value, it was about 1/2 a second or less.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:40:01 AM by cjmerlin »
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:53:32 AM »
You may need a different breaker type instead of a different rating. Over here at least they are to be found in B, C and D flavours. So a B60 would protect a 60A (running current) circuit, and have close protection, tripping instantaneously at 5x the rated current for fault protection. So you'd use it for resistive loads like heaters, boilers etc. A C type breaker allows its magnetic trip to operate at 10x its rated current value for motors and fluorescent lamps, and a D type at 20x for induction heaters and transformers. The thermal response curves are the same, but the magnetic fault protection differs.

A microwave oven transformer - hefty kit - tramsformers often suck in 10 to 15x their maximum running current as inrush so do consider some current limiting measures. Even a series resistor shorted out by a delayed contactor will help, allowing the core to saturate then giving it full power. You will need a high power, low value resistor. incidentally, a lot of the high-voltage guys use microwave oven magnetron transformers to drive the primary tank circuits of Tesla coils and other insane devices... 4hv.org will tell all. Summary: bonkers ;D

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »
BluePinnacle, thanks for the reply. I done a google search and found this site that described how Micro Waves limit the current.
http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/src/mot/index.html
I went on ebay and found numerous wire wound resistors and ordered a 39 ohm / 5 watt resistor.
As soon as I get the resistor I'll post back.
By the way, I remember this setup in the micro wave when I tore it apart.
Thanks to all who replied. This is how we solve problems!
olf20
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »

That's the way! nice and simple. use a rather slow relay for best results.

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
Well I got the resistor(s) and I still had the original relay for the
microwave. I will install tomarrow and hopefully it will solve the
problem. Can not afford to have the machine down, or the expense.
olf20

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:14:47 PM »
I hooked up the relay and resistor today. Nothing happened, so that's good.
Time will tell if that solves my problem.
Thanks again to all who replied!1
olf20