Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:59:20 AM

Author Topic: Steppers DEAD!  (Read 8369 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers DEAD!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »
Hey Wheeler,
   Check your voltages to the steppers at the end of the cable that hooks to the controller. If you check a direction pin should be high (5V) for one direction and low, (0) for the other. Hook you meter from the metal on the outisde of the connector to ground and you hot, touch it to the direction pin for that axis. Jog that axis with the keyboard in both directions. Should see the voltage change. The step signals are harder to read as they are fast in most cases.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »
Hi, H-Wheeler

Config, Ports & Pins, Outputs  to "Enable1" see pic 1

After starting Mach3 "Reset" should turn on the drives.

Did you try changing this, If it doesn't change the Active Low State to "X".

Pulse Frequency may not change much at all, is the Time in Int changing see pic.

Post your XML file.

To: Post your XML

If you have a Standard Install of Mach you'll find the xml's in C:\Mach3 folder.

Find the Mach3Mill.xml, Make a copy of it and Re-Name the copy to a unique name,  your nameMach3Mill.xml should work.

Use the "REPLY" Button then Attachment Options, "Browse" to C:\Mach3 and find the file, Double click on it and Post.

Thanks, Chip

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:25:13 AM by Chip »
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 11:50:28 PM »
Hi RICH,

I posted the settings to see if anyone could see any screw ups on my part in my settings, when I mentioned Don, that happened months ago , we tried to get it going, but still no movement even following his settings, but still NO RESOLUTION, I was frustrated They are in New Mexico and I'm in Hawaii, after a few weeks of settling down I decided to come to this forum for help, Matt just wanted to charge me with no guarentee of getting it going, Ive had this driver box for about 2 years, the driver box before this crapped out on me because 2  stepper drivers went south in the box, so I had to replace it with my current driver box, when the mill is going I'm good. THE STEPPERS ARE STILL DEAD  :'(. Iv'e been e-mailing the MAN at TESTRA, and he said:

Hi,

I am running a wolverine3 from Alignrite, my motors are not getting any power, the fan works, but no movement, how can I test it. I am running Mach3 with the settings on the cover in ports and pins, but still no movement. How can I test it to see if power is going to motors?

Do I need a breakout board, or is this it?

No breakout board is needed.

Question:

There are green lights by each of the motor connectors.  If lit they indicate that

the drivers are running.  What is the status?

There is a red light next to the output connector.  Is it lit?  This indicates

that the drivers should be enabled.

If the above is true, you can try turning the motors by hand.  If they are powered

this will be difficult.

If all above is ok, I would bet on your settings in Mach3.

Align-Rite is supposed to be providing you support on this.

Have a Great Day!

Thomas W. Hart, Jr.
President

Testra Corporation
1201 N. Stadem Drive

>>  There are four green lights from left to right next to the motor
 >>  connection
 >>  outputs, I'll number them 1 2 3 4, only 2 and 3 are lit, the red light is
 >>  on, I do not use a 4th axis. The motors clunk for a second or scream for
 >>  about 20 seconds then go silent, then the wheels can be turned manually,
 >>  no
 >>  resistance.

It appears that you may have more than one problem here.

Output 1 (X-axis) light should be lit indicating a bad driver.

Question: With Mac3 disabled what happens when you just turn on power to the box? 

Describe the lights.   Then turn on Mac3 and enable and disable the drivers.  The

red light should be able to be turned on and off.  When you do this the drive to

the motors will also be turned on/off.  Describe what happens.

Have a Great Day!

Thomas W. Hart, Jr.
President

I'll do what he said, and get back to you..............MAHALO PLENTY

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 01:29:32 AM »
Hi, H-Wheeler

Most of your pic's don't show up hear.

If you have the mill power on and as you say, When i startup the computer the steppers wherl and move, then there trying/working as the printer port is in a test state.

If your UP, Send me a Personal Msg. with your Phone #, I'll give you a call now, If not i'll call tomorrow after 9:00 pm fla time.

Thanks, Chip
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
silly, I know, but i saw the headline "stepper motors dead!" and the sticker "very hot!" and thought there was an electrical fire issue... i think I've been up too long
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »
Hi RICH,

Spoke with Chip this morning to recheck some settings, did some tests,rearranged some numbers , figuring it could be the driver box......quote author=RICH link=topic=6153.msg40748#msg40748 date=1205358267]
Hi H-Wheeler
Quietly on the sideline till after you talk to Chip.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
Howzit Chip,

Got your message, again thanks for your patience, moved the X and Y to 6400 steps per 1 inch, did it with a ruler too!, acceleration at 20, and velocity at 50 and still adjusting till I get it right ,L O L .Does not the Z double the steps, I have Z at 6400 steps too, just a question here, to deal with gravity and the weight of the spindle and metal frame work, I thought thats what I was told, just have to fool around with the velocity and acceleration, did a test cut and it seems to be going good, just need to keep an eye on the feed rate so I don't jump any steps. I am grateful for your expertise on this matter of CNC. Thanks for being a friend.  Mahalo.............................Arnold