Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 10:54:47 AM

Author Topic: My Router.  (Read 6940 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
My Router.
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:51:28 AM »
Not the best in the world, and it still needs some work, but it does what it's told to do. PICTURES
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
Re: My Router.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 12:26:57 PM »
good job SAM--if you do another build you could consider to use a tube not a solid for your crossover bar less twist.
what kind of job's are you planning to run.

bill

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:23:09 PM »
yes, a tube would be more stable. It needs 2 additional pillow blocks spaced out from the center of that rod to stabilize it (the back rod as well). There is such a large span, that even a tube would flex to an undesirable amount. I don't foresee me doing another build. There are so many additional little things that need to be modified, I think my money would be better off invested into a machining center. Most of my projects involve metal cutting. Machinist by trade, wood worker by hobby. Anything thats metal is a real pain to do with a router spindle. I'm limited to aluminum cutting, really. The tolerances I need for my metal projects simply cannot be achieved with a homemade machine. Not within a reasonable dollar amount, anyhow. It cuts wood really good, and it's a great machine for that, without doing any type of modifications. Couldn't be happier if that was all that I used it for. As far as jobs go, I plan on building some cabinets/counters. A black cherry computer desk might find its way here one day. So many projects I have planned, and I will most likely never get around to doing 1/4 of them.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »
Looks real good Sam.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
SAM
       that black cherry move sounds pretty sweat.

bill

Benny

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
It looks good and solid. It reminds me of mine a bit. I use belts too.
I like the way you have put a drive rod across both back and front. That should illuminate any temporary bar twist problems.

Benny

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »
Could you also post a picture of the back of your Y axis. I would like to see what you have done there.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »
Added a photo. I think you meant X axis, if not I can take some more of the Y. I looked at your machine when I was deciding how to drive my axis. Although I did not use the tensioner method, and went with a loop, it was inspirational anyhow. I think Art used a belt on his also. I think your frame is quiet a bit more rigid than mine. Sure looks like it, anyhow. I made my table adjustable to accommodate vices and such, which now limits me from putting extra support gussets in place. With a bit more foresight and design time, it could have been easily accomplished. Ahh well, live and learn.