Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:47:21 AM

Author Topic: Missing steps at 10 ipm? Taig, Mach3, Xylotex  (Read 38165 times)

Re: Missing steps at 10 ipm? Taig, Mach3, Xylotex
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 07:30:26 AM »
While you are running a NC program, bring up the task manager and see if the cpu usage increases at the same time as the motors change tone, it could be background tasks grabbing the cpu.

Graham.

I did that once, it didn't seem to be linked to the cpu usage.

Thanks,
Monte

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »
just a thought but what does your driver test look like with ref to what Art says in the vid?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »
Monte,
Just for the heck of it, you might try it in Sherline 1/2 Step mode ?
Regards,
RC
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
just a thought but what does your driver test look like with ref to what Art says in the vid?

It looks fine compared to the one in the video and the one in the manual.

Monte
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 11:47:23 AM »
I take it Sherline Mode did not help.
Did you try setting the pulse step incrementally up to 5 in motor tuning ?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
I take it Sherline Mode did not help.
Did you try setting the pulse step incrementally up to 5 in motor tuning ?

Sherline Mode didn't help.  Either did stepping up the step pulse.

Monte
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
Monte,
Did you try changing the active high/low for the step pulse ?
RC
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 08:03:28 PM »
Monte,
Did you try changing the active high/low for the step pulse ?
RC

Yes, no help.

Monte
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
Monte, Another two cents worth.  I am running basically the same setup you have (different controller though).  Watched your utube demo and the miss sounds more mechanical to me (but it could just be my ears - selective hearing and all that).  My Taig runs very true, excellent repeatability, etc.  I was having a problem before that turned out to be misadjusted gibs (too tight).  I would lose steps while cutting circles and get ovals.  The bind would generally rear its head when cutting arcs.  Once I adjusted the gibs it wasn't a problem any longer.  Just something else to check.  One more item - how about the couplings between the motors and your screws?  Some slop there would definitely cause problems.

If you Like, I can send you copies of my configs, motor tunings, etc.

Good luck.  Taigs are great, but can be a little (lot!!) frustrating at times.   But, the good pieces I have made have compensated for all the headaches.  If you haven't already done so, look up Nick Carter's Taig site.  There is a lot of information regarding tuning Taigs that I have found really helpful.

Bob@BobsShop-  Time to go cut some more.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »
Monte, Another two cents worth.  I am running basically the same setup you have (different controller though).  Watched your utube demo and the miss sounds more mechanical to me (but it could just be my ears - selective hearing and all that).  My Taig runs very true, excellent repeatability, etc.  I was having a problem before that turned out to be misadjusted gibs (too tight).  I would lose steps while cutting circles and get ovals.  The bind would generally rear its head when cutting arcs.  Once I adjusted the gibs it wasn't a problem any longer.  Just something else to check.  One more item - how about the couplings between the motors and your screws?  Some slop there would definitely cause problems.

If you Like, I can send you copies of my configs, motor tunings, etc.

Good luck.  Taigs are great, but can be a little (lot!!) frustrating at times.   But, the good pieces I have made have compensated for all the headaches.  If you haven't already done so, look up Nick Carter's Taig site.  There is a lot of information regarding tuning Taigs that I have found really helpful.

Bob@BobsShop-  Time to go cut some more.

Bob,
The gibs seem fine to me.  I'll look at them again.  I've been all over Nick's site, lot's of good information to go through, just haven't made it all the way through.

Yes, I would like to see your configs, motor tunings and such, thanks.

Monte

montejw:earthlink:net