Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:33:26 PM

Author Topic: Lathe conversion question  (Read 4026 times)

Lathe conversion question
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:29:44 AM »
My next project is a lathe conversion, but i want to be able to move the axis manually also.

But what extra equipment is required to get the encoders to move as i move the axis.

The best way to describe what im after is to use mach as a dro when im moving manually

Thanks
Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe conversion question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:59:28 AM »
The easiest way is to get the board from www.rogersmachine.net it will interface your encoders into Mach and will also provide sort of closed loop with a fully setable following error. Of course your servo drives do this but depending on the drives you use it may just be a fixed amount. If you are using steppers then the board provides the semi closed loop like in a servo system.
 I think Ron Rogers has made up a screenset that he provides with the board that has the manual page on it, ie a DRO.
 You could hook up[ encoder direct to the parallel port as well but Rons board just makes it easier and has the error detecdting benefit.
 Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:08:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply Hood.

I am currently using a Newall Topaz DRO on the lathe would you happen to know if the encoders could be used for the dro count

Phil_H

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
If they are TTL then yes, I had glass scales on my mill a while back for testing and they worked great.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
Sadly looks like Newall are out of business

Phil_H

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
What do you mean they are out of business? do you mean they wont work because they are not TTL,  Newall are still trading as far as I know http://www.newall.com/
Hood
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
Sorry thought they we out of business i had the home page saved as a co.uk site also tried google and failed to find them glad they are still going.

On another note is a dedicated MPG on every axis a feasible proposition and again what apart from the mpgs would be required would this also work with the Rogers machine thingy

Phil_H

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
Think the Newall stuff probably wont work, its that ball system stuff isnt it? not sure if they convert down at the reader head and send as ttl or just goes back as magnetic whatever to the DRO itself.
 As for the MPG yes you can hook up two MPGs, not sure if you will have enough inputs on Rons board but you can use a second port and either hook direct or go through a breakout board.
Hood