Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:11 AM

Author Topic: Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3  (Read 36977 times)

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »
Well I finally took the cable cutters to the cabinets and pulled all of the non essentials out. after attending the mach conference last weekend I could not resist any longer  ;D

The plan is to use the original servos and encoders and wire in all the original on board equipment; coolant , oilier, mist unit, adjustment for the vari drives (air driven) and probably have digital speed readout for all the pieces to keep everything in balance. I may find that the vari discs don't get moved much as I plan to run the machine on 220 single phase with a VFD.

The machine did not run for me but I did get it to home and I jogged all 3 axis so the servos, encoders and spindle drive work. at this time I am planning to use Larkin 200 volt drives and CNC4Pc control boards BOB, MODIO and pendant.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:12:56 AM by Graham Waterworth »
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
Re: Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
New Pictures posted here   http://jeep534.smugmug.com/gallery/5099973_TQC2C#307649501_owpex
Photo's Current as of april 2008. I am currently working out of town. so it will be a while before I get it up and running. 
I have everything picked out. no small task I might add...... Hopefully some of the bugs will be worked out of the smooth stepper/cnc4pc combo before it comes time to turn this thing up

Cheers
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
That's a clean looking machine.  24V relays?  I'm going to do the dspmc/ip very soon.  Since it can handle up to something like 40V I think I can hook it up to my 24V and skip my M logic and power boards and go straight from it to the terminal strips to send 24v signals to the relays instead of oupputting 8 bits to logic board.  That would probably be convenient for you too if the dspmc/ip turns out to be a good control.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 08:24:33 AM »
That's a clean looking machine.  24V relays?  I'm going to do the dspmc/ip very soon.  Since it can handle up to something like 40V I think I can hook it up to my 24V and skip my M logic and power boards and go straight from it to the terminal strips to send 24v signals to the relays instead of oupputting 8 bits to logic board.  That would probably be convenient for you too if the dspmc/ip turns out to be a good control.

Thank You for the Positive comments. I have finally Gotten back to putting this thing together. I just posted 4 photo's they and others are posted here. http://jeep534.smugmug.com/gallery/5099973_TQC2C#440400987_V26QR  now that the cards are mounted. I am starting on the power supplies. I will try to keep things posted up to date.

archie =) =)  =)   
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
Excellent.  Ya, mine machine has been sitting mostly unused for a while now too (though there have been a couple things I have thrown on it--one important and one just nice).  I've been collecting some nice tooling as I can.  I have enough to do most things now.  I picked up a jacobs precision keyless chuck so now I can drill, an iscar facemill so I can face large things quickly, t06 and t08 iscar multimaster toolholders with chamfer tools and ingersol chipsurfer 45degree helix tools.  That aught to get me through most any general machining operations in any material very nicely.  What I really need to find for it now is some paying work.

The power supplies in your pictures sure looked pretty, you are reusing them right?

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
I am using parts and pieces of two different mill power supplies. I believe I am going to need 6 different power supplies. 2 each 5 volt and 12 volt Isolated from each other 24 volts and the drive power supply. I am starting with the drive power supply I believe It will end up about 110 volts or so if I remember correctly (the original Bridgeport power supply was 124 volts)

so is yours up and running ? if so what have you made...... I have a back log of projects waiting.

archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »
Ya, I haven't installed the 4th axis but the machine is up and running.   All I've done on it is some test cuts on a big piece of steel to get my head square and my face mill set up, then machine a step deck on a flat six block, and machine a carburetor spacer.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »
well I figured you would at least be making a few Christmas presents with it :)  do you have pictures of your mill posted anywhere

archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »
It's the excello spindle wizard thread.  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,3990.0.html

The pictures are hosted on my own webserver but there isn't a photo album so you have to pour through the thread to see them.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »
there has been much water under the bridge since the last update   a lot of out of town work and a divorce and all the aftermath of that anyway it is time to get back on this project will be asking questions and posting more pictures of where it is today I have pieced together the powersupply and mouted circuit cards re routed the cables from the servos and encoders. i have big plans for this machine and mach3.
Facebook archies machine