Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:01:56 PM

Author Topic: Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3  (Read 36997 times)

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
Re: Archie's first cnc machine Bridgeport R2E4 Boss 9 to Mach 3
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
computer, keyboard, preferably smooth  stepper if i were to do it today I would use CNC4PC c32 breakout board. and torridal transformer power supplies.

arachie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Isn't going with mach3 and step and direction a step back? You are not going to get feedback into the controller for error protection.

Just curious.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
hmmmmm I am not understanding your question. does the mill you are getting run currently or are you going to have to retrofit it so it will work.
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
The Machine does run with drip feeding large files.

If your machine once setup with Mach3, can it do error correction re: gets off by a bit, does it auto correct. this can only be done if the controller knows where it is at via encoders.
What I am wondering is, does Mach3 know where it actually is. I didn't think so because the drivers are not sending mach3 position so it cannot compensate.

Am I wrong here?

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
yes sort of,  the loop is closed at the drives. and I hope you can run your machine as is. I was only able to get mine to home a couple of times before it quit all together. as far as retrofit to mach3 I suspect that the retrofitted machine will be head and shoulders above the existing machine.  the weak point of those machines is the electronics.  the electronics have aged where the steel has not assuming the lubricators are working. in addition the retrofit allows the use of a 4th axis  which the original did not.  as well as the use of touch probes,cameras, ect.

archie =) =) =)

P.S. I sent you an email to what is listed in your profile
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
the way this system works is when the vipers are not able to keep the servos up with the encoders then it sends an error message back to mach that error amount is  set within the drive. all of this "error is in a  order of magnitude. also if you are not pushing the machine very hard then you will not see any errors being kicked back to mach. this issue has been beat to death. steppers do not have any feedback of any kind and work very well within their limitations. the loop on the servo machines are closed at the drive ( unless you are using something like a gallil card) when I get my mill up and running I am going to strap a small block chevy block to the table and push the rapids into fault then back it down 20 percent and lock them down there. not the most scientific way to do things but that is my story and I am sticking to it.

archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
I am not debating, I am just trying to figure out because I have someone telling me that I am going backwards, replacing with step and dir controls.
They are saying you are better off taking your chances and leaving drives and controller and drip feeding, then again, they are trying to sell me their card controller.

Not sure, what I am going to do.

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
I am curious now..... who are they and what card controller are you talking about.  if you are not comfortable discussing it here you could email me directly.
archie =) =) =)
Facebook archies machine

Offline jeep534

•  123 123
  • From the hills of WV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
food for thought boss 5 machines are stepper machines.... and a few of those have been retrofitted with Hilbilly's break out board and wiring diagram. the later boss 9 machines like ours either work or everything but the servos and encoders  have to be replaced.  i am confused as to what you are being told.   The weak link in these machines are the electronics.    Run the machine as long as you can with the existing electronics.  When it comes time that it won't do what you want or need it to then work it from there.  Addressing the issue of step and direction being inferior I say prove it.  These are 25 or so year old machines  and they are being used in garages and home shops.   If you are making parts for money then it is on to the next level of machine with tool changers and flood coolant. at least for me anyway. 

Happy Hunting
archie =) =) =)

Facebook archies machine
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:12 PM »
What they are saying is There is no true feedback or error correction. If windows decides to do
something else because it is not a true multitasking OS, then it will lose steps. Now, I have two CNC routers that work with
wood and stepper motors and Mach3. I don't really have a problem with them. Wood is a different story than metal machine going crazy.

I know there is alot of people doing Mach3 larken upgrades to their machines.