Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:25:23 AM

Author Topic: Duplomatic lathe tool turret with Mach?  (Read 11765 times)

Duplomatic lathe tool turret with Mach?
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:04:53 PM »
I have a lathe with a bsv-200 12 station tool turret from duplomatic and I am curios if anyone here has had any experience controlling the duplomatic turret with Mach?
here is a link to the unit I have 

http://www.duplomatic.com/duplomatic/auto/uk/2/frame2_21.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Duplomatic lathe tool turret with Mach?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:19:42 PM »
Have you downloaded the manual? If so could you attach it here as when I try it asks for my password and I dont really want to have to register just to see the info.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:00:21 AM »
any thoughts on controlling the turret?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »
sorry, meant to look it over more, from my initial look you are going to need quite a lot of I/O so a PLC would probably be the way to go. Will try and have a look at it later on today and see if I can make out how exactly it works.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
I spoke with the fellow at Duplomatic for almost an hour today, he was very helpful amd I now have a pretty good understanding of how the turret works , just still a little unsure how to control it.

As I understand it the 24v brake needs to energized to release the brake then the three phase motor which causes the turret to turn , this turret only turns in one direction in normal operation, when the proper position is reached the solenoid which drops the lock pin is energized and the pin falls in a notch in the locking cam , at this point the motor needs to reversed which sets the locking cam , then the brake needs to be set by de-energizing the brake coil then the locking pin coil needs to be de-energized. This portion I understand and seem pretty easy to program a basic PLC to handle. The area I am unsure on how to program and what PLC to use for is indexing to the proper pocket on the turret. As you can see in the schematic there are 24 pins on the rotary switch , 2 for each of the 12 positions and a common terminal. The first pin on each station tells the plc when the pocket you are looking for is approaching and the second tels it when its been reached.  I have a pretty good idea how to get the thing to cycle in a simple one pocket at a time jog type mode but the indexing to the proper turret maybe a bit more challenging . Any thoughts or help appreciated, I am sure it can be made to work

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:00:18 AM »
Sounds very similar in operation to mine with the exception that mine is hydraulic and has to unlock and lock at every tool before it can move to the next. I use the DL06 PLC from Automation Direct. I am a rank beginner when it comes to PLCĀ  ladder and VB script but it was relatively easy to do my turret and toolpost. below is a quick snippet of the toolchange ladder.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:41:33 AM »
I dont have any experience with programming PLCs and am just unsure where to start, It looks like I will need one with at least 12 inputs for the rotary switch . On programing did you find it fairly easy, would you reccomend the Automation direct starter kit that comes with the Think and Do programming software?

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:19:34 AM »
It seems a bit expensive to go to programmable logic, when you have a computer sat there, which, while the PLC is working, will be sat doing nothing. The problem with programable logic chips is you are programming in machine code and, unless you have the development tools, you will have to buy those as well.

You can get a download from Microchip, which emulates their chips and allows you to write programs, but then yo need the hardware to program the chip.

I would have though it would be just as easy to get another port for the PC and use that. Programming can be using Visual Basic.

Looking at the diagram you downloaded - do you need a wire to each station - or can you put a binary signal to a group of wires - which selects the staion you want.

That doesn't matter a great deal, however. The thing to do is identify all the outputs you require and build the interfaces, particularly those to control the three phase motor, and the relays or whatever for the various locks.

The logic to control it would, I think, be fairly simple at the side of that.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
The DL06 is easy enough to use, must be I managed it ;)
 You can download they free software for writing your ladder, it only allows so many words but should be enough for what you want. A second port like Jim suggests might be another option but I think you will not have enough I/O with that.
 If you get the PLC you can easily expand it with loads of I/O if you require them but as standard it comes with 20 inputs and 16 out. The one I have is the D0-06DR, It has 16 relays for the outputs. http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/PLC_Hardware/DirectLogic_06/PLC_Units/D0-06DR
Hood

PS,
   Jim you have a Private Message