Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 08:36:40 PM

Author Topic: Reto-fitting Dyna 2400  (Read 7770 times)

Reto-fitting Dyna 2400
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
Hello everyone,
I purchased a Dyna 2400 recently and would appreciate any advise on how to go about upgrading to Mach 3 and a list of recommended items.
Thank you in advance,
Spinstack
Re: Reto-fitting Dyna 2400
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »
ya it not to bad of a job about half of the work is done for you you can use the old rs232 port on the side of the box Or redirect step Dir pins from your PC
then the plastic connectors that are on stepper control a person can tap int the step Dir pins
Adam

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
It is amazing what one can find with a simple search. Searching for Dyan 2400 yeilds: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,3134.0.html.

OK, so it was my post and I knew it was there, but still, 'Search' is a great tool for seeking information. I'm not sure if I posted the schematics for the opto-isolator board I mentioned in the above thread but I would be glad to share it. I am waiting for the SmoothStepper to be in production so I can redo my opto-isolator as a daughter board to it yielding superior performance, lots of extra I/O and only a single USB cable from PC to the mill.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 11:04:59 AM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply. Your machine is truly a little Frankenstien! I am very impressed. I would like to duplicate what you have done. My machine was in storage for the last 6 years and I was amazed that it started up right away. The controller reminds me of my sprinkler controll box and is somewhat pre-historic. It came with a full set of collets and wrenches. All of this for $100.00!
I already have the Mach 3 software and have recently started on a MasterCam post. I have been machining, programming and engineering for over 30 years. But the thought of doing  anything electrical puts me into a deep coma.
Any advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Pat

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:19:30 AM »
The good thing is that you can use the OEM steppers and drivers. You just need to remove the little controller box and the distribution board inside the machine. I made my own opto-isolator board as I wanted to be able to plug in the existing cables. When the Smooth-Stepper becomes available I'm going to redo my opto board to act as a daughter board to it, then there will only be a USB cable between the PC and mill.

As for your machine, what a steal. Want to double your money  ;)

I'll dig out my schematic and take some pictures of my machine.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Jeff,
When you say OEM steppers and drivers, are you referring to what I currently have?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »
Yes, I meant that you could use the steppers and drivers that are currently in it.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »
So, all i need is a board? what kind of board and where do I buy and how much?
I really appreciate your help.
Pat