Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:40:51 PM

Author Topic: Adding Joystick to Mach3  (Read 6219 times)

Adding Joystick to Mach3
« on: February 23, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
I am trying to find info on how to hook up a joystick on Mach3. I searched and searched, but I can only find bits and piecies of info.

Can someone please direct me to a good site. I am still a newbie with some experience. I managed to get my limit switches working with the help of this forum.

Thanks

Wally

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Joystick to Mach3
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »
Hi,
You may want to rethink using a joystick. Windows has changed the way it handles Joysticks.  They used to be devices that plugged in to Gameports. Now they are USB devices that are considered as HID (Human Interface Device). Mach handles HID different than a joystick. This may cause you some problems.

The way that you get a device to work in Mach is to download the desired plugin from the Mach (Downloads - Plugins) and run it. It will place a DLL file in the Mach\Plugins folder.  You then connect the device and start Mach. Then go to Config Plugins from the Mach main menu. If you see a red X next to the joystick plugin, click it to turn it green. Then pick Config and setup the joystick how you want it.

If you do not get the joystick to work properly, you might look at either the Shuttlepro plugin ($30-40 on EBay) or my XBox360 controller plugin (about $40 at most stores $20+ on EBay).

Good Luck
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
Thanks guys for the two replys. I now have a starting point and I should be able to get something going.

When I get this going, my next project is to make a auto tool zeroing pad. Then I will be satisfied for a while.

Wally