Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:57:37 AM

Author Topic: Driver issue on 3GHz Computer?  (Read 3553 times)

Driver issue on 3GHz Computer?
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
Hi Folks
I,m trying to run Mach3 (R2.61) on a brand new, dedicated 3GHz 4GB Computer under Win XP Home SP2 as I had problems with my old set up (Pentium3). But I still have problems. Firstly the driver test: It runs starting at 27Hz after 10 Sec it switches to 245000Hz or thereabouts. New readings only at about 10s Intervalls (on the old Pentium3 every 1 Sec.). There are almost no spikes to speak of (maybe two between 40and 48 whatever the Y axis on the graph is about). Could there be worse stuff going on in between?  Also the Frequency is unstable btwn 242000 and 245000Hz althou I,m not shure that matters.
Whats more is that after having run the test all later tests are even slower, just the countdown to the actual test is taking forever).
Secondly and I believe this to be a result of the aforementioned,  any movement of the axis is done in intervalls with acceleration and deceleration every few mm. Whenever I run a file the buffer reading goes to 100%, is that normal?
Now I've read that onboard VGA used to be a problem is this still the case?
I've tried Release 2.63 as well as Quantum all with the same result. I,ve also tried all the tune ups , as far as I know anyway.
Hood has been kindly trying to help me before, although we were focusing on ports and pins and such but I really think this is a computer/software problem as the DRO's in Mach3 also mirror the little jerks.

Any Help would be much appreciated

Greets Dave   
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:44:50 AM by acieradave »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Driver issue on 3GHz Computer?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »
I think the problem was, with some computers, the on board video driver took up big chunks of the processing time, because of demands for super graphics for games etc. This was also prevelant on laptops. They also used big chunks of memory.

If the compuetr is dedicated to cnc, then check all the processes that are running, and turn off as many as you can. You do not need them. If you feel it is the on board graphics, and you should be able to see from the processes display how much usage the graphics are taking, get a graphis card and install it, then disable the on-board graphics.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »
Is it a dual core Intel processor? I recall that some folks have had problem with them. I know there was a post on the Yahoo group about this a month or so ago. It might be worth doing a search.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
There are certain applications that can mess things up bad for Mach. Quick time being one of them. Have you followed the optimization notes? They can be found in the downloads section. Also, have you tried to run the special driver found in your Mach 3 folder? If not, give it a go and see if the results are any better.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:21:08 AM »
Hey Folks

Thanks to you all for the help. I found a solution. Out of pure frustration I tried my office computer, which is also a dualcore but with a graphicscard and a 1.8 GHz Prozessor, and would you know it! It worked first try! No optimization at all. So I'll just have to transfer some software and install a parallel port and untangle cables an stuff....
Thanks again.

Greets

Dave