Hello Guest it is July 20, 2019, 04:14:00 AM

Author Topic: newbie help  (Read 2243 times)

newbie help
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:39:43 PM »
I am thinking of doing the full purchase but I have some questions.  I think it would be better to give you some background.  My company builds airplanes and I have a cnc router that the engineer that I bought the company from built in 1992 from scratch.  I have been able to take control of the machine with the mach 3 software but I am having trouble with the G-code.  The code that was written for the machine is very simple it has I think 5 different codes that the machine work it is not G-code it is his own code.  We are able to get the parts into rhinoceroses (Rhino) and convert it to a dxf but now what.  The whole program is based on a 1/8 inch bit and I need to write tool path because lazy cam is not understanding the dxf well enough to produce good G code.
Question
1. will the licensed version help with any of my problems?
2. I am going to buy it anyway but should I buy rhino cam as well so I can edit tool path?
3. Is there a program that I can put my existing code into and convert the commands to G-code

Offline Chip

•  2,057 2,057
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: newbie help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
Hi, Rjgfly

Post a DXF file your having trouble with, Use the REPLY button and attach it with Attach option.

1. Mach3 is limited to 500 lines of G-code without a License, LazyCam license will allow offsets, pocketing and turn/lathe features.

2. Hard to say depends on the complexity of your drawings.

3. Post an example of your code.

4. Haven't a Clue on that one.

Thanks, Chip

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  7,849 7,849
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Re: newbie help
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:09:40 AM »
Hi Rjgfly,

There are many free programs available to convert DXF to G-Code and their effectiveness depends on the quality of the DXF.

I use and can recommend 'CamBam', I  have found it to be excellent for tool radius offset profiling work such as would be required for plane parts.

Tweakie.
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.  Winston Churchill.