Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 11:50:23 AM

Author Topic: Open a DXF in AC Lt.  (Read 4049 times)

Open a DXF in AC Lt.
« on: February 17, 2008, 12:20:59 PM »
Hello,
 Can someone tell me how, or even if I can open .dxf files posted on this forum in AutoCad Lt.98 as a drawing ?
Thank you,
RC
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:44:15 PM by Overloaded »
Re: Open a DXF in AC Lt.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:11:05 PM »
The short answer is - yes you can (open a DXF in AC lt - at least I can in 2008).  Just use the OPEN function and go the file containing your DXF.  But, I have actually found it easier to IMPORT dxfs into CADX (free cad program - no limits, no spam, etc) and work with them in there.

What are you trying to accomplish with your DXF?

Bob@BobsShop
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
Hi Bob,
I'm a manual machinist that still uses a pencil.....how silly is that.
I'm new at this CNC/CAD/CAM stuff and have no prior exp. but am trying to learn all I can on my own.
Haven't had a PC for very long and am getting along pretty good there.
I bought Mach3, LCam/Turn and have AutoCAD LT 98 on my PC.
I can make drawings/profiles in AC and export to LCam OK.
I think what happens is I save the drawing in AC as a .dwg file and it exports as a .dxf.  ? ? ?

When following the topics on this forum, I'd like to view the drawings that everyone is posting the dxf of.
 This would be an excellent learning tool for me.
Maybe I should switch to CADX...Where can I find it ?
Thanks very much Bob,
RC

Actually..I can open some of them, but most will not open.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:47:13 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »
RC - You can find CADX11 at http://www.graytechsoftware.com/.  It is a little quirky with little or no documentation, but the DXF file it produces - reproduce in LCAM very well.  CADX11 is free and does not have a time limit.   You do have to request a password, but Graytech (the company) never has sent me an e-mail or to my knowledge ever given out my e-mail address.

What I like about CADX!! is, I can import some TEXT files from DeskEngrave (another free-be - did I say I am cheap?) that can be manipulated to produce cuttable (good word!!) text in some of my creations.  I have been using AutoCad LT 2008 (just startedf recently) and like the features, but have not been successful in reproducing good text images that can be used in LCAm.  If you want to shoot me a private message, I can send you some samples of the DXF files I have used.

Good luck - I am a 68 year old newby when it comes to CAD, CNC, or mill/lathe work.  But, with a lot of perseverance, I have produced some really nice pieces for my Harley.

Bob@BobsShop