Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:09:15 AM

Author Topic: My next retrofit more pic added  (Read 13415 times)

Re: My next retrofit
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »
MHP was absorbed by Hurco around 1991 and I am having a hard time finding much of anything on the machine. I did find a company that services MHP and they want $15k to come out and fit a new controller and get it up and running . Centroid qouted me a little over $14k for a retrofit package from the motors out, all the wiring harnesses , drives controller etc.

The machine does have the original wiring diagram with it and I think with a little patience I can map out everything and get it up and running. I figured commercial drives would be needed to get the speeds I need with the size of the components/machine. If I can control the proper drives with Mach then the rest of the functions should be fairly easiy. I am always up for a challenge
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
Does the lathe have servo drives?  or are they gone.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
I have to agree with Hoods first post. Tell me where to pick it up and I will come get it so I can get it to him.  ;D

This should make one sweet machine! Do have more pics of the existing controls or is that all there is?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 07:38:02 PM »

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »
does that look like an A-1 type spindle nose?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »
Now I just need one of those new fangled smooth stepper boards :)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
You can get Kollmogan drives on eBay at good price when they come around,they can be programmed to run most motors even with resolver feedback.  They come in all sizes.

Maybe you should try the new dynomotion controller with the Mach plugin;
http://dynomotion.com/

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
Yes it certainly looks like an A1 spindle nose, very similar to my lathes although mine is listed as a C8.
 You have the spindle drive there so that should be a good thing.
 SmoothSteppers should be on sale in a month or so, the Beta testing has gone exceptionally well and it will be perfect for this kind of retrofit I think, allowing you to use high count encoders.
Hood

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 03:14:55 AM »
MHP was absorbed by Hurco around 1991 and I am having a hard time finding much of anything on the machine.

Ok, it must be a different MHP to the one's here in the UK, Geo Kingsbury do MHP in the UK, but that sounds like useless information.

Graham.

Without engineers the world stops