Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:39:56 PM

Author Topic: My next retrofit more pic added  (Read 13423 times)

My next retrofit more pic added
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:30:22 AM »
here is the machine I am going to retrofit next http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310021367668
any thoughts appreciated
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 07:59:37 AM by panaceabeachbum »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: My next retrofit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
My thoughts on the machine in question are that you are wasting your time, you will never do anything with that piece of scrap. The only course of action is for you to pack it into a sturdy case and get it shipped over to me in Scotland :D
 Seriously though, it looks like its going to be a great machine, will be a lot of work but when finished you will get a very nice sense of achievement.
 I see there are motors on it, do you know what kind of drives it has if their are any fitted?
 What are the turning dimernsions, spindle bore etc?
 Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
The motors are 3 phase brushless GE , I was told all the wiring in the 4 foot wide 4 foot tall electrical cabinet on the back is intact and nothing has been removed from it, looking at the pics of the inside of the electrical cabinet it doesnt appear anything has been removed but I dont see anything I instantly recognize as drives/amplifiers as compared to my milltronics machining center . Its due to arrive friday evening around 7pm . It originaly had a fanuc 10 controller. Very excited to get it here

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:16 PM »
Dont see the pic of the inside of the cabinet on the auction, is it a pic he sent to you or am I just blind?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »
its a seperate pic the fellow sent me, The machine was up against the wall and the door would only come open about 8" so he lowered his camera down in the cab and took half a dozen pics.

I wonder if the drives/amps are not present if the Rutex drives for brushless 3 phase motors will work  or if I might do better to buy commercial drives? I dont have a ton of money to throw at the project but I have set a budget of about $5k  initialy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
Its hard to tell from the pic what size things are but I would imagine the motors to be quite large. On the lathe I did I tried all sorts and ended up throwing a load of money down the drain trying to run my HUGE DC servos off the normal drives that you see around here. Ended up getting Allen Bradley Ultra 3000 DSD30 drives and 10Nm(88lb in) continuous 4075  servos, actually one of the drives is a Giddings and Lewis drive but its exactly the same as the AB one just a different name, think they are both rebadged ElectroCraft drives. I got mine from eBay, Allen Bradley stuff doesnt come up very often here in the UK but  when it does it usually sells cheap which is good for me :)
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
The motor sticking off the right end which is for the z axis says 66lb in, not sure on the x axis or tool turret but I am guessing the z is the largest . The spindle motor is 30hp I believe.
Here are a few more pics

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
Think you will have to go with more industrial type drives if your motors are that size.
Hood

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 04:34:01 AM »
I think I would be chasing MHP for a full parts list and a wiring diagram before I did any buying.  Armed with this I would chase down a Fanuc 10 control from the scrap machine dealers and then buy the ladder software off Ebay to update the ladder.  MHP may even let you have it if you ask nicely.

Fanuc 10's are very common and cheep. It may be worth buying a scrap machine with one on.

Just my opinion  :)

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops