Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:56:07 PM

Author Topic: pcdreh hardware all axes over 1 pinnumber  (Read 6863 times)

pcdreh hardware all axes over 1 pinnumber
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:44:04 AM »
Hello my name is Gerard van Rooijen i am retired and move from holland to turkey and run a hotel in the summer and in the winter there is plenty of time to work on my hobby
metalworking with a lathe and a mill i buy a mill and a lathe from a local turkish machine manufacturer and together we  rebuild the machines to cnc
now i work with hardware and software from pcdreh from germany
i want to change everything to mach3 now the hardware works with all the directions over one pin number pin number 1
so the x,y and z axes all use the same pinnumber for direction and different numbers for tact is this a problem in mach3
i started and strange things are happening sometimes the motor works and sometimes not, could the common pinnumbers the problem

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: pcdreh hardware all axes over 1 pinnumber
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
I have looked at PCDREH website and as far as I can see the connection to your computer is a SERIAL connection using rs232/USB.

Mach 3 uses the 25 pin PARALLEL port (the printer port) which has seperate outputs (12 in all) and inputs (5 in all). Signals to drive your stepper motor cards generally go out in pairs (one step pin and one direction pin) for each axis. Therefore the x axis would use pins 2 & 3, y axis pins 4 & 5, z axis pins 6 & 7. There are then spare pins to drive your spindle controller, your coolant, and the input pins carry signals from your spindle encoder, and your limit switches.

The system uses the parallel port because of the speed, and closer control on the relative movement of the axis.

Your really need to download the tutorials on connections to the computer, which will explain it all.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
thank you for you comment but pcdreh is also a parallel connection a have a pdf with pin settings but i don't now how to ad a pdf to this comment

so i will type it

pin 1 direction for all axes
2-9 information for spindle speed
10 x ref
11 dongle\
12 y ref
13 z ref
14 tact a
15 a ref
16 tact y
17 tact z
18-25 ground

so pc dreh use 1 pin for the directions of all axes
and different for the tact

i saw in the the manual that mach3 use different pin numbers for each axes directions

so my question is of the course of the strange behavior of the axes is the could be the combine direction pin

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
Hi, Rooijen

Yes, The only time you could combine Dir pins in Mach is to drive dual drives same axis, I've seen that done before.

Mach has options to do that in the program though.

Dose pin 1 on your control box connector go to 4 different locations on your axis driver  board ?

Mach uses 1 pin to control 1 axis direction so you can have up to 6 axies moving at the same time in different directions with each write pulse sent to the

printer port.

Thanks, Chip

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
Can you please attach the pdf, if you go to the full reply page instead of the quick reply, you will see a button for additional options which will let you browse and attach .
Hood
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »
I already thought so i did no why the designer of pcdreh has choose for this solution
under pcdreh it is possible to use two axes with different direction altough both dir go's via pin 1

hereby the pdf with pinconnections

I have another question is it possible to use a lineair decoder to feedback forcorrect movement
the same as by servomotors

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:58:40 AM »
My guess is that your current system must use some dedicated hardware to time-division-multiplex the direction pin. There is no way you can do this with Mach - it is strictly a realtime step and direction system.

If your second question is can you use an encoder with steppers like is done as a matter of course with servos then the answer is yes - however as far as I'm aware, Mach has no provision to close an encoder feedback loop - this has to be done at the hardware level.

Cheers

Ian
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:38:53 AM »
Thank you for all the answers i am on the right way again thank you