Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 04:49:39 PM

Author Topic: Denford Orac Auto Chuck  (Read 3942 times)

Denford Orac Auto Chuck
« on: February 09, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »
Hi, I have been using my Orac for some time now and would really like to have an auto chuck for bar feeding. I recently aquired a Burnerd collet chuck which takes the EC collet range. These are usually fitted to Colchester lathes and the outer diameter is about 5 inches and the length about 4", Fitting it to the Orac is not an issue but will I encounter other problems like the motor not capable of driving it or the force of closing the collet lever putting strain on the headstock/lathebed mountings or other issues.

Your advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Denford Orac Auto Chuck
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi John,

in general collet chucks take less power than 3/4 jaw chucks, they run smoother and quieter,  they also need less clamping force than a 3/4 jaw chuck due to the amount of surface area covered by the collet.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply Graham, I was more concerned about the extra weight of the chuck compared to the 4" 3 jaw chuck the Orac has. Also the extra length of the collet chuck will be 1.5" more once I fit a backplate than the Orac chuck and I was concerned if there would be any extra load on the spindle bearings or would that not make much of a difference to worry about.

Cheers
John

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »
As long as everything runs true I see no problem.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:59:28 AM »
Hi Graham, Ok Thanks for your advice.

Cheers
John