Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Intermittent movement along toolpath  (Read 5852 times)

Intermittent movement along toolpath
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to warm up a old topic but I have not been able to find a suitable answer despite rooting through the forum.
I'm just in the process of refitting an Aciera F5 kneemill and I'm trying to get to know Mach3 without havin any harware hooked up.
Question is, when I run for example the roadrunner file or any old G-code for that matter, the tool is not moving along in a reasonably smooth fashion, rather it runs along a short stretch and stopps then starts again and so on.  Now when I look at Art's tutorial video his job seems to be cut in a smooth continous movement. I've tried fiddling with the CV-,Speed- and Accs  settings but it doesn't really seem to make much difference at all.
Sure somebody has an easy solution for that one.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:51:51 AM by acieradave »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent movement along toolpath
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
The roadrunner file is made up of lots of short straight moves so depending on settings, machine etc this could be jerky. You say you dont have any hardware hooked up so how do you know its jerky? iof its just on screen that you are watching the movement then I would say it is likely to be your graphics card or computer that is maybe a bit low on memory or CPU.
 Put a G64 at the beginning of the roadrunner code and see if your problem goes away, if not then it could well be as I said your computer that is a bit low on resources.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »
Hood!

Just hooked up some steppers. And they're moving exactly as the crosshairs on the screen I've tried to cut a simple circle and it's moving along in 3-5 mm steps accelerating/decelerating all the time ending up with maybe 20-30 green dots along the contour on the job screen. Tried the G64 as well just doesn't do it.
I'm running mach3 (35kHz Pulse) on a dedicated 3.0GHz CPU with 4GB of RAM can't really go higher then that. Tried higher acceleration, read something about that, but just makes the whole affair a bit crisper. It just looks like im allways in Exact Stop Mode yet if got G64 on.
Just stumps me man.
Greets Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:56:02 PM »
can you attach your xml and I will see how it performs here on my home computer. Your computer certainly sounds up to the job so it shouldnt be that, but go to the Mach3 folder and run the Driver Test and see how the graph looks in it.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 02:45:31 PM »
 Hood,

I've run the Driver Test: it runs at 285455 steady with only the odd little spike.
Below is the xml.
Sure appreciate your efforts.
Greets Dave
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:00:11 PM by acieradave »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
Dave, tried downloading your xml a few times but afraid I cant for some reason. I will send you a pm with my email address so you can attach it to an email.
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 03:39:54 PM »
Hi, Dave

What Version are you running, Look under Help/About Mach3 Cont....., There were some issues in ver. 3.00 smiler to what your describing.

Try turning down your feed-rate override on Program Run screen also.

Thanks, Chip

edit: Missed the part on "have hooked up steppers"

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:42:39 PM by Chip »
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 04:01:35 PM »
Chip!

I'm running Version 2.42, it seems thats not the most recent....

Dave

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 04:02:12 PM »
Turn of ALL the CV options. Uncheck the 4 boxes in general config, and turn off CV feedrate and CV distance on the settings screen. But make sure CV itself is turned on.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Dave the xml you sent me is either the wrong one or its no wonder it wont work. I sent a reply to your email.
Hood