Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:23:20 PM

Author Topic: Feed Rate  (Read 7815 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Rate
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
Give me a chance - I'll get there - but not with this machine.

No -  most of my stuff is mild steel 5,6 or 8 mm to drill -  sometimes up to 12mm - as I said, I need to fit a gearbox on the 3 phase motor - it looses a lot of power at lower speeds. I'm designing one now :-\ :-\

Get yourself an AC Servo ;) , thats the way I am hoping to do it on my Beaver Mill. Have a 5KW servo which supposedly has 163lbin torque from 0 to 3000RPM. Have a drive that will run it, only thing I am lacking now is an encoder with Hall signals suitable for a 4 pole motor, dont suppose you have one in your back pocket :D

Hood
E-Stop
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »
General question regarding MACH 3. I would like to stop all motion when I open the safety cover over the spindle of a lathe. The lathe is a Wabeco D2400E that has a cover switch built in. Right now the cover stops the spindle but not the axis motors. Is it possible to use this switch together with a space bar input or something else to stop all movement or send all axis to zero coordinates just by opening the safety cover without causing a reset?

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
You could possibly use a brain or the macropump to do a feedhold when the switch is activated, that would halt the axis movement, not sure about the spindle, depends how its set up but you could also add an M5 to it to stop the spindle as well.
 Not sure how your lathe is set up but I would think it might be quite dangerous to make the axis move to zeros when the cover opens, X0 on a lathe is usually the spindle centre.
Hood

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »
I must agree with Hood, the only safe way is to stop the machine, you can not send it to home as you have no idea what the safe path to home is at any given point.

You could make the spindle switch latch a relay that cuts the power to the spindle and the axis drives.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops