Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:10:25 PM

Author Topic: VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR THOSE USING Z HEIGHT SETTING MACROS  (Read 4842 times)

VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR THOSE USING Z HEIGHT SETTING MACROS
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:25:58 AM »
I am learning bit by bit and have had the Auto Tool Zero  macro Written by Scott working great, along with a probe being sold on here.

Now the important bit, if you leave a tool loaded with a negative height setting the tool will come down the extra amount unexpectedly with predictable results.

I have added a G49 as my first line of code and this will remove the offset.

Maybe this should be added as a fix in the routine G31 to set using tool 0 as the default setting

You have been warned.

I'm off to get a new stylus now

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR THOSE USING Z HEIGHT SETTING MACROS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
I am an amateur at writing G-Code. The stuff I see written by professionals seems to have a block of what I would call "standard intro" stuff and most of this seems to be aimed at cancelling offsets, tool settings and other things - so the program starts at ZERO, I suppose.

I don't know if Graham Waterworth or somebody using G Code professionally woud like to comment - and give us a hint how to start so that the machines are set up correctly for a program.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Scott

•  139 139
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
Phil,

I'm terribly sorry!  :(  Being that I'm running a table router and don't use a tool changer or tool length offsets, I completely ignore the Z offset when changing and zeroing a different tool and setting a new work offset.  X and Y values become the only pertinent values for work offsets for me.

Good tip on the G49.

Scott

Scott
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
Hi Jim it's nothing to do with the g code in a program. It relates to the Zero  Z tool macro.

All those blocks of code are normally put in by Cam software, which is so important that you understand what's happening.

Scott if you let me have your address i will send you the bill  ;D ;D

No i don't blame you in the slightest Scott

I mentioned it on here so that others will become aware and also it should be the default setting that all offsets are cancelled maybe the top guys will sort this out/answer the question.

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:30:30 PM »
PHIL,
I have found a simple replacement system for my probing ! It gives me many quickly changeable tips for any way I choose to probe. I am a hobbiest so I frequent the hobby shop for R/C acft goodies. The Item I refer to is CARBON FIBER TUBE. It can be cut to length as you wish and then have a stud for your probe drilled so the tube will hand press into place and stay put without any glue or grub screws ! This part is important so that it is quickly changeable and since it is extremely brittle a grub would fracture it out and it will split down its length. All the fibers are running lengthwise so splits down length will scrap it. Be careful cutting and lightly sand ends with fine emery. These will break in a bad move and save the innards of the probe body ! Yet they are very rigid and lite. I have replaced all my metal tips with these and won't go back ! I even drilled out a few balls for exchangeble ends. NOTE ! that the OD of the tube is true, DO NOT use the ID of the tube or it will blow out side wall !
CRUISER
  Don