Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:22:43 PM

Author Topic: Need Z to lift out of part when we pause or stop machine How ????  (Read 7786 times)

Offline maxy

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Hi ....when we are running a job we would like to maybe stop the cutting routine to look at what is being machined and would like the Z to lift out of the material...but keep the spindle running, and then hit resume and the z would go back into the material and continue it's cut.

We have set the Safe Z height, and when we hit stop it works they way we want except the motor stops, z lifts up, but the program rewinds itself and you have to start the job over again.....

Any hints ???

Thank you to everyone for the Great help sofar....we have our machine working to a point...

Maxy

Offline GPDC

•  43 43
    • View Profile
Re: Need Z to lift out of part when we pause or stop machine How ????
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:22:33 PM »
  I'm just thinking out loud for a minute here...but you could interface all inputs to Mach using a keyboard emulator (IPAC is a good one) through a PLC, thereby getting any sequence you wanted....hot keys are great....if you do that make SURE youput 10nf disk caps across the ground/input terminals of the IPAC.
                          George P

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Here is a OEM Mach3 Screen set with a "Retract" button, and "Resume" button down at the bottom left.

When your running your code, hit the Retract button, it will pause and retract the Z, the Spindle will be running.

When your ready to Resume, hit the Resume button, When you push the button a "Preperatory move screen" will pop up, (that is part of Mach after a pause and an axis has moved from position), if you will look on that screen there is a tick box that says, Start Spindle, tick that box. Hit OK, the spindle will start and your Z will go back to your position you left from, to continue you will have to manually press the Cycle Start Button.

Try it out on some clay or Wax first to make sure it is what your want, Modify the code to what you need.
You will need to put the "1024_Retract.set" into mach3 main directory, load mach, then load the screen.

scott
fun times

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:48:52 PM »
Hi, Maxy

Have you used the TAB key jog window, First  Feedhold, TAB key, jog Z up to look at part, Then Cycle Start and OK to the Preparation Positioning window.

Then Cycle Start again to finish cut.

Thanks, Chip

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »
good info, thanks!  ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »
Jeff,

here is the screen set with a machine coordinate lift to 1" per your request.

scott
fun times
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 07:18:55 PM »
Poppabear, thanks for the screen set. That's exactly what I was looking for as an example of custom buttons with scripts attached and a way to clear the tool from the workpiece for inspection (or vacuuming out cuttings)

I've modified the button scripts so that it remembers X, Y and Z position so when you resume it goes to the stored XY position, starts the spindle, goes down to the prev Z and restarts cutting (so it bypasses the preparational move dialog).

I want to do some more testing and get the zoffsets right to get Z to goto a safe machine coordinate (rather than an offset from 0) which should be easy enough but if anyone is interested I can attach the scripts.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
Doers anyone know if this works with current versions of Mach3? I can't get any movement while Mach3 is in Feedhold.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html