Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:46:02 PM

Author Topic: Multiple slot cutting wizard  (Read 4926 times)

Multiple slot cutting wizard
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:51:02 PM »
What is the best way to make multiple slot cuts using the wizard? Thanks for your help!!
Re: Multiple slot cutting wizard
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:02 PM »
I dont understand what you are trying to do, can you give a more detailed description?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Ron , I will try to describe a little bit better, the part is comb shaped with teeth approx. !/4" wide by 2" long and with slots approx. 1/4" wide and 2" long, material will be    3/4" thick. There will be 10 or so slots in each part. Hope this helps, thanks for your help, James
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 06:50:08 PM »
Sounds like an unusual part. In my view wizards are for common shapes, thinks like circles, slots, bolt circles etc. Other parts ought to be done with CAD and CAM tools. We could never do a wizard for every shape of part.

That said, there may be a way to do it. The wizards let you save the gcode step by step into one big file. Watch the video, it shows making a part with a couple circles and a bolt circle.

You could make each of your slots, defining the X,Y location as appropriate, then Post the code. Then return to the slot wizard and define the second slot, post that part, return, etc until you have made all the slots you want.

When you are done return to Mach and you will have one big Gcode file with all the individual slots in it. I realize this might be tedious, but it would work.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 10:15:41 PM »
Ron I appreciate what you are saying but I think a wizard capable of making multiple parallel cuts. slots or grooves could be used by many people for several projects such as cooling fins, drain pans, cosmetic grooved designs for motorcycle and automobile parts, tread plates etc.  I understand you cannot make wizards without a lot of work and effort and would not be feasible if not used by many people.  Thanks again, I will try the single slot wizard.

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »
YEP what RON said I do it all the time. It is really a very simple process to build a complex gcode file from the NFW segments. You just repeat each segment (slots)as needed and when you exit NFW has completed a complex Gcode file for you to cut ALL slots. JUST remember if you want to repeat the same process in the future you need to name and save the file.

SO really they have already built the wizard you need(;-)

(;-) TP