Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:30:20 AM

Author Topic: anything else to the Mach3 developers  (Read 8709 times)

anything else to the Mach3 developers
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:58 PM »
Hi,

i just installed Mach3 3.03.. german (not released jet, but tested) and got serveral errors.

is it possible to make a list which buttons / LEDs and/or other smarties changed ?
on a custom screen set  it may be something else when any DRO or something like that dosn't update because of changing the interia of Mach3

but when using ModBus together with a pendant and other periphal hardware and old Brains wouldn't work because of missing any statement-
i.e. i got great disaster because of missing Pause-LED - thats not very fine - its ...
So i would do without f.o.c. update and spend the money i invest atm to broken tools into working updates (and damaged brain - today i spend 10 hours to get the reason why Mach3 didn't work with old brains - and then see that the options i'm using not available in current Mach3 - wtf)

please show a list of changes - or - last instance of all choces - switch of Brain (and maybe some users) and switch on when you're ready for take off

in my opinion it is a horrible mistake to put such a hefty tool in users hands and change anything in it, which was accessible through the tool

maybe that i'm not right but i'll like to say what my opinion - so - thats done

BTW: how long ago did you include BrainControl in Mach3 ?
is it right that there isn't any flyer / manual / anything else available ?

sorry - but my mind is: some people get ANY information they need to sell their products
and the majority of users have to look any boring video, thats contain is for non english-speaking guys very hard to understand.
is it so difficult to made any whitepaper or something else that the user can use BrainControl ?
or is BrainControl deathborn child ?

look at some threads - how many people are able to write any DRO to a LCD ?
sure - i'm one of them - but it could be much more - when you drive the right way
take Brain off in 3.x and clean bugs (i haven't any fatal bug between 2.6 and 3.0) oder take 2.6 and force Brain - with a manual which can be read - listening is much more difficult

Regards
Frank

PS: soll ich nun noch alles in deutsch schreiben ? man kümmert sich einen Dreck darum ob man ein beschissenes Video versteht oder ein Handbuch lesen kann

Small edit:
i'm talking about 50 cfg's in Modbus-Config, 20 Brains with roundabout 8 In' and 5 Out-Lubes - average
please please to everyone who's using brains: change in 5 of them the top-lube - not only argument
you would be happy and the clock has got 3 incs - on the short pointer (yes - in germany we use analog watches as well)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:11:08 PM by jimmybondi »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: anything else to the Mach3 developers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »
Frank,
    If you have thin skin you shouldn't try to ride on the bleeding edge. Mach3 has been the same price for a very long time. Even though many, many features have been added at no extra cost to the user. Most any time features are added it introduces unforseen bugs elsewhere. As time goes by and good users report bugs they are eliminated until it is all stable enough to be considered a Lock Down version. Any version of Mach 3 is on the cutting edge, the development versions are on the bleeding edge, not for the faint of hart. As Mach 3 changes so fast it is impossible to keep the documentation up to date at all times especially for the development versions. This is why they are called development, meaning not fully developed, still in the process. I doubt you have taken into consideration the amount of time taken to create the documents. It is very time consuming. The guys that are working on the code don't have time for this, IMO they are spending there time where it is most effective, on the code. Creating features that we all benefit from. I consider the minor problems such as out dated manuals and bugs introduced thru adding features growing pains.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:25:03 AM »
Brett

I doubt you have taken into consideration the amount of time taken to create the documents.

terminate your doubts
I have spend more time for a manual than you imagine
There is a german translation for Mach3 Turn, that publication i'm waiting for since several month.
This "not happened" publication (until now) is not because of me - a distributor - which is nearly a friend to me -
would like to give this translation the same face as his mill handbook. And additional, i don't need any translated G-/M-Code -
they're all in my head - so i translated none of them and he wants to add them.
And translation of a non native language - particularly containing very technical phrases - isn't fundamental easier than writing a new one
(at least if the author is devoloper of described object)

Don't tell me anything about time - i knew what I'm speaking about.
Once created the update will take only minutes

Furthermore i wrote manual as one possibility - a simple list list would be ok - ANYTHING would be ok.
I don't expect fully complete ultraprecise manual - as i wrote whitepaper or something else
Sorry when i'm not able to find the right word - therefore i take sometime not only a phrase or headword
I try to describe what i'm meaning
i'm living on the other side of eath and english isn't my basic language - and to translate every word in a dictionary ...

the very first part of your post: no more words - you should know (or not - depends on yourself)
And the rest - across price and updates: i've written what i'm thinking on updates.
Most users spend a lot of money for controller, machines, tools and so on.
i my case it take nearly 500$ every month - so f.o.c-update is not a must have for me
if the development releases would be more stable

But you're right - i have to give a declination when a german distri would like to know if the 3.032 in german
will work with modbus and BrainControl and 5-axis-mill
I have the option to test this features and i have taken 72h (at one chart - startet monday morning - ended thursday) to learn EVERYTHING
about BrainControl. BTW: logical wiring is well known to me also as maths funcs - that isn't included in this time)
learning BC means to me - to this case: understand what happens when...
have you ever heard that pass through isn't the same as double inverting ? i have samples of BC where you can monitor this "feature"

But enough words: there are a lot of users they'll can do ... especially in non-english-speaking territories

Frank
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:12:27 PM »
Hello Frank,
Nice to see that you are testing on the other side of the world :) . 3.0XX is all for devlopment and we are looking to take out long standing bugs in the Feedrate override and in the Over velocity if the FRO is pushed to far in a feed move. The Brains are a toy that was added by Art and take 2nd place to the main function of Mach3 (Making the motors move for machine tool applications). As soon as I have the base of Mach3 solid with all the changes that I have made I will start to look into the code for the brains.

Thanks for the testing and there will be a new rev out soon..
Thanks
Brian

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »
Please Brains arent a toy!! They are critical for larger CNC machines!!! I am very, very happy to have the Extra I/O Brains provides!!
I could not do half the machines I can now without it!!!
I am really looking forward to when Mach "Base", becomes stable enough that you can look into the Brians.

Thank you for all you do, and the time you spend making Mach better and better all the time  ;D

Scott

fun times
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:30:44 AM »
I agree 100% to Scott
otherwise the last 4 weeks work was for trash.

in several weeks i get an old MH400 with a very very old (working) Philips 432,
which will be dismounted because only 3 powered axis (4 measured)
Therefore i would like to be prepared for retrofit

in addition i'm building an ATC - not because of necessary yet - only to done it :-)

to give Brian a (very small) incentive to force forward on braincontrol:

click on image for large view

(who's able to read geman may read a story about building case - and if interested: keypad is selfmade and PLC selfprogged)

Frank
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:30 AM »
@ Brian:

it's nice that V3.0 is published as Lockdown - but it's very vigorous too.

IMHO it would be an advantage to publish it as Beta und offer 2.6 as lockdown.
in the past 20+ years i've never seen a dotzero-version which works very well
and since I've got a lot of problems with these zero-versions i never install them.
That i've tried a mach3-x.0 was a wish of a distri to test it in dependence of ModBus and Brians.

Some (german) users report several and mostly different errors which affect to me too - not even reproducible.
It can be an error in VB-Script (I never touch VBs in any kind) up to "Error found, Art Code 9991 - Attemp recovery"
After this error Mach3 will terminate and to give the frequency of appearance a count:
maybe 2 times at 2.61, 10 times at 3.0 and 5 times at 3.032

at least some german speaking users gimme a email that they would be happy that i'm opening this thread - they can't do in lack of
english words (they think)
When asking such special themes like ModBus and/or braincontrol in german echos you'll earn mostly silence - here its nearly the same:
a few more than 100 posts in less than 30 threads - did i remember right that braincontrol was introduced in october 2007 ?

I've tested a lot within bc but don't know all about it - but i can say its not very difficult if someone understand logical links (i don't remember
the right name - such like the old TTL-techique with and/or/xor ...)

at the moment i'm missing a pause-LED (who on earth will fit a e-motor as generator to a engine to get the state of the machine ? -
so i don't use THC-control to get an equivalent of pause-LED) and the error that the state of another LED - which was ABD-linked - dosn't effect the result.
but that is a story for brain-forum ...

Frank

[EDIT] corrected some terrible english (i hope)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:17:21 AM by jimmybondi »
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
3.00 is taken off the web... and please do not use the Dev version if you are unwilling to work with any bugs that we have introduced into the software.  I will set the new lock down when I have everything tested to be working ( Have fixed the jurky motion when you bring up the FRO and a few of the other long standing bugs).

Hang in there...
Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »
Will the Brain code that was working (at least to a do-able extent) as of the version 3.0 that you took off, will the new 3.0 have the same working brain code?  I am right in the middle of a retro, and the old 3.0 Brians are working......

I guess what I am asking since your looking for bugs, would you Eyeball the Brain stuff, and see why it was that the code broke in versions after 3.0?

Scott
fun times
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:58:46 AM »
You can still use 3.00 if you like... it is on the server and if you would like a link I can post it...

I WILL NOT be working on the brains! I need to finish core code first... I can not work on more then one thing at a time... Things are going to get broken and there is not anything that I can do about this... So hang in there... I think in 5 months you will say "It was hard to have to deal with the brains and VB being broken for 2 months but now it works better then ever!"

I am putting in 100+ hours a week now.. I can not do any more
Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com