Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:57:01 PM

Author Topic: motor stalling during rapids  (Read 3250 times)

motor stalling during rapids
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »
hi all, newbie here.
I'm having an issue with my Y axis motor stalling during rapid moves. It only hapens at times, (erratic). During a rapid, the "y motor will stop moving and make a loud buzzing noise, kinda like its trying to go 2 directions at once. The DRO continues to show movement until it shows it is at the destination. then the Z will go down to start the cut, BUT, in the wrong place. Has happened with many different G code files.
Any ideas?????

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: motor stalling during rapids
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »
Your motors are losing steps, thats what the squealing or buzzing or whatever you want to call it, sound is.
 You need to go to the motor tuning and turn down the acceleration a bit, possibly also the velocity, you will just have to mess around with them to find the sweet spot for the combination of motors and drives that you are using.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »
Mikie:

Don't know what type of mill you are running, but I had similar problems (not always at the same place and not all the time).  In my case I was running a small table-top mill (Taig) and my gibs had gotten too tight.  Depending on the cut, the table would bind up.  It happened most often when I was cutting an arc and the table was moving in two directions at the same time.  Adjusting the gibs solved the problem.  Sounds like it was easy, but it took me forever to figure out what was happening!

Similarly, my circles were not consistent.  Same problem and fix.

Bob@BobsShop - Grinning and cutting

Good Luck
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
Thanks for the sugestions. i slowed down my motor acceleration and velocity and have been cutting today without problems. Hope that was all it was...easy fix.
thanks again........Happy cutting
Mike