Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:03:49 AM

Author Topic: Machine requirements for MACH3  (Read 3313 times)

Machine requirements for MACH3
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »
I'd like to ask what are the CNC machine requirements for Mach3.... or will it work with ANY CNC lathe with an RS232 port?

I require a basic CNC lathe package and am looking at machines like Orac, Emco Compact 5, Connect 121/Cadet, Boxford 125, etc, and want to eliminate any that may, say, have insufficient memory or buffer size when working with Mach3 (or any other DNC limitations for that matter). Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:54:32 PM by darrylh »
Re: Machine requirements for MACH3
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:51:30 PM »
Hi, Mach3 works with the printer port not the RS232 Serial port (although you can send commands through the serial port using Mach3 it is very limited).

The lathes you mentioned were designed and built with their own software (now very outdated) and will probably not work with any other software that I know of.

The lathes will need to be converted to use modern day software like Mach3, some are probably easier to convert than others, I know some Boxfords like the TCL160 used step and direction stepper drivers and a VFD for the spindle motor so you could keep these and just fit a breakout board and you could be up and running within a short time.

I think the Orac's had step and direction drives but to be frank because of the age of these machines, if you are looking for something that is going to last then a total rebuild of the electronics with modern parts would be a better solution.

This forum is full info on retro-fitting older machines like the ones you mentioned.

Hope this helps.