Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:29:23 AM

Author Topic: Need help with getting system back up and runing  (Read 4250 times)

Need help with getting system back up and runing
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »
I am having problems with my system since I installed a new motherboard. I can't seem to get mach to run my stepper motors. Now before I go into to long of a question, is there any simple way to test the parallel cable to see if it is working? I don't have a printer or anything else to check it with, but may by I can read voltage on a pin? I changed to an Asus M2N32-SLI motherboard and installed the cable for a parallel cable as the instruction said, using same cable that I used before for my Xylotex system and Mach 3 which all worked fine with last motherboard, so thinking it might have something to do with the port.

Just want to start with checking the port to see if it is working.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with getting system back up and runing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »
First thing is your mobo probably doesnt have an onboard port so you must be using a PCI parallel port. Check in device manager for the address of your port as it will definitely not be the same as your last one. If you have already done that then yes you can check with a voltmeter, put it between one of your Direction pins and a ground pin. You then jog that axis one way then the other and the voltmeter should go between 5v and 0v

Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:52:07 AM »
Thanks Hood, I will check that tonight, at work right now. The motherboard does have a parallel port, just that with it needed to buy an additional cable to use it. I have also checked the Bios, it shows the parallel port as active and the address of 378 which is set in Mach3 also.

Will check the voltage tonight.

Jim
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »
If the parallel port connector attaches to the motherboard via a ribbon cable and the connector is not keyed,make sure it's not plugged in backwards.  Also ensure the BIOS setting for the motherboard is set to ECP+EPP.  HTH.

- Felix
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »
Thanks Felix, I changed two things in the bios, one to make plug and play work and changed the parallel port to Bi-Directional which seemed to be the best choice to ECP+EPP which it didn't list.

Now it is talking to the Xylotex board, just have to remember all the mach3 settings I had to make it all work smoothly.

Jim

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 02:45:21 AM »
Jim, sounds like you have not saved your xml file as that would have allowed you to put all your settings back to original just by pasting it into the Mach3 folder. I know its too late now but it will save hassles in the future if once you get set up again make a copy of your xml file to a memory stick, CD, DVD or another computer over your network.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »
LOL, you are right Hood, I didn't save it. Always meant to make a copy, just never got around to it! I save all g-code and cad drawings to a different disk just in case, so not like I couldn't....ah well live and learn.

At least the mill is up and runing, just need to fine tune and back making chips again. thanks everyone for all the help.

Jim