Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:05:37 AM

Author Topic: V2.76  (Read 8204 times)

V2.76
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
I have made some fixes and posted a new version, now 2.76

The tool selection screen has been fixed to properly handle metric tools. I has apparently been wrong since the beginning, I guess not a lot of guys use metric tools ;-) Odd bug, it was supposed to test LED 1020 to see if it was metric, but it was looking instead at DRO1020, which happened to be a value on another screen.

I also fixed the tool table dialog box to display the tool description field. Art added a VB call for that some time ago, I just got around to fixing it.

I also made major changes to the thread milling screen. I believe it is now safe from all tool crashes, but check your code before you crash an expensive tool!

The one remaining problem I am aware of is that the circle wizard does a radius in move when you ask for a groove. That screen has some very ugly VB code and Im not quite ready to hack it apart yet. I will get there.

Feb 13, removed the zip file, see new topic for new version
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 01:16:20 PM by Ron Ginger »

vmax549

Re: V2.76
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
RON, tired the threadmilling wizard. I ran inot a few quirks.

When selecting the tool # it errors with a "SUBscript out of range error"

When it generated inside code at the start it moved to the center of the hole then out to a start point then BACK to the center of the hole then BACK to the startcut point before continueing.

ALSO please explain why we do outside cuts from the bottom up and inside cuts from the top down. That is backwards to how we have always known and done it. AM I missing something here(;-)???? THere are some VERY good reasons it has always been done a certain way.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:55 PM »
When it generated inside code at the start it moved to the center of the hole then out to a start point then BACK to the center of the hole then BACK to the startcut point before continueing.

Were you doing RH or LH thread, and did you set Climb or Conventional mill ?

The reason to go bottom up on outside thread is to allow conventional milling. If you want climb milling then top to bottom is Ok, for inside threads its the opposite. At least I think I got those combinations correct, I had to draw it all ot when I was working on the code, I think the code is right, I may be saying it backward now.

Im at Cabin Fever now so I cant look at the code to see about the tool table problem, Ill check it when I get home Monday night.

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »
YOU know in all the years Ive done this I have only done a few LH thread and almost always climb milling. I never gave the other any thought. We always found if there was to be a size error it was mainly to the good size and we could adjust tool diam corrections to fine tune the thread to guage size.

Thanks for the explanation, I knew there had to be a good reason it just never dawned on me. The inside way was always better to start at the bottom to make guaging the max dept easier without the risk of bottoming the tap and breaking it, also from bottom to top avoided the heavy chip load with small single point mills( break them sometimes)

I did learn a trick testing MACH NFW live to verify the approaches and retraction. I use an empty paper towel tube held in the vise to simulate the material then program thread size just under or over  the size of the paper roll. IF the code is wrong the worst thing that happens is I cut a path through the paper roll NO broken tools. AND it gives an excellant visual DRY RUN.

NO hurry on the fixes just wanted to let you know about them. I will go back and test ALL possible thread configurations to make sure I find nothing else.

HAVE FUN........

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:02:49 PM by vmax549 »
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
Ron,

The GetToolDesc code errors on my system.  Do you suppose it is because this is a new code Art has added and I am using the PCNC Mach 3 version which has not been updated for a while?

Pat
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »
yes, Art added the GetToolDesc a while ago. I waited a while to use it hoping many users would be at a late enough version. I guess the choices are to update to a later version or dont use the tool table.

Art sent me a message on 10/25 that the command would be in the next version. Sorry but I dont know how that date relates to version numbers.
Re: V2.76 - GetToolDesc Not Available
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
Art,

Can you provide upgrade information/dates for us?  I am using PCNC version 3

Thanks,
Pat

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »
RON I just started testing the thread milling wizard v2.76. I have found problems off the bat that will cause part and tool crashes.

ON Inside LH  conv AND climb threads it tries to cut the ID from the outside, THat will break part and tool.

THere are 32 basic combinations for thread MILLING I will work my way through and send you the report. Just wanted to let you know about the crash potential I found early on.

(;-) tp
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
FWIW, I believe that the PCNC version 3 that Pat refers to is Mach 3 rel R2.4.  That may be fairly old, but I think that Tormach is trying to avoid changing Mach3 versions too often to simplify support.

Mike

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »
RON I have finished testing on the 32 basic thread combinations. Do you want me to post the results here or EMAIL them to you????

(;-) TP