Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:04:20 PM

Author Topic: MDI-line via Modbus?  (Read 4294 times)

MDI-line via Modbus?
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:18 AM »
Is there any easy way to use MDI-line outside of Mach?
Or it is impossible?

Regards,
Johannes Thelen
Finland

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:08:58 PM by thelen »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: MDI-line via Modbus?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
What are you trying to do?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:11:23 AM »
I will now try explain best I could, my English is not very good... I hope you understand something...

I making manual control for my lathe. Idea is to make control look like regular manual
lathe. It have manual pulse coders x&z-axes, virtual cross slide coder (This is one reason for MDI-line),
feeds&gears-switches and etc. I'm making this modifying almost only for my dad, he's old and like
to use  my lathe, but he can't understand it all (I tried explain many times but no affect et).

I have CuTouch-logic controller for controlling everything and I'm pretty good with it.
So I need some easy way put command lines to Mach, from CuTouch.

Now CuTouch is handling tool change, hydraulics, control panel, system em-stops...
Here's foto: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc21/jonne_photo/HPIM0237.jpg

Second idea is make own controlling system (With CuTouch-logic) which use Mach3 only pulsing engine
and G-code translator. This is like inventing wheel again, but this is also little programming challenge.

And almost forgot, my lathe is Nakamura TMC-4, 18 KW spindle, weight about 6 tons, it is not mini lathe.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:13 AM »
By using Mach's macropump and the VB calls to modbus you could write a parser to intercept the data and control Mach, its a lot of work and a lot of VB but it would work.

Is it worth it?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:16:36 AM »

Is it worth it?

Kennedy said some time ago:
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

I think he was right..

Another question: Can I start macro from brain? I mean if some ModBus address get right value,
then (example) M999-macro starts?

And brain local variables, can I use these in VB-script?