Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:36:01 PM

Author Topic: Breakout Board  (Read 4813 times)

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Breakout Board
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well.
My breakout board went bad along with a Gecko drive. Not sure why.
Who's breakout board is everyone using?
I would like to switch over to Smoothstepper, but I guess they are not available yet.
I don't require anything fancy, just the standard I/O's.
Thanks in advance for any help!!
olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Breakout Board
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
The smooth stepper is coming along nicely, all of the problems have been sorted and now there are just a few additions to be added to the function of it. However the SmoothStepper doesnt replace the breakout board, what it does is replace the software pulse engine and the parallel port. You still need a breakout board, well you could do without one as in the parallel port set up but .......

I have both PMDX 122 and Acustep  breakout boards on two of my machines. If its just a standard breakout you are looking for then I recommend the PMDX 122, they are quality made boards. I must say I havent tried many others so take of my opinion what you will.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »
I can't resist.
I've got to put a plug in here for my good friend Mr. Duncan.  http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=33
Only one I've ever used.
Good support too.
FWIW,
RC
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »
I have been very pleased with the break out boards from CNC4pc also, I am currently using the c11 in two machines, a mill and a lathe, and have one of his $25 breakout boards on my other lathe.

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:22:06 PM »
Got the cnc4pc top of the line board and am happy with it and it's good support. The best is that the e-stop switches all ports off, regardless what the PC is having as seizures. Nice to have while changing the tool on a 'hot' spindle....
Lemo
Cut five times and still to short...

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 07:01:21 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!! I will get one on the way
olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »
I have been using the one from Bob Campbell Designs.  Have about 5 of them.  They are really good boards and easy to use.  They have mounting holes for easy installation.  They come with a ribbon cable to plug your parallel port into and have screw terminals to connect your step, direction and limit switches to.  Very nice boards....