Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:11:06 AM

Author Topic: ArtCam Tool Changes  (Read 10550 times)

ArtCam Tool Changes
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm working with Brad from Artcam to get a post processor for Mach 3.  He needs me to send him a file with a sample of what the code for a tool change looks like in Mach 3.   Is there sample or can I create a simple file that has the tool change code in it? 

When he has this he can write a post for Mach that lets Artcam create toolpath files for Mach 3 that allow a tool change.

In my case, I'll be using a manual tool change- I just want to be able to have the machine stop at the end of one tool use, move to the tool change position and let me zero the new tool, then restart the file with the new tool using cycle start.

What would this code look like?

Thanks for your help. 

Wayne C

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: ArtCam Tool Changes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:57 PM »
Is this lathe or mill?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »
Wayne, didn't I sent you a postp for the tool changer, had a TC in the file name? don't forget you would have needed to complete the set up for your tool database, numbering them in AC etc
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com
Re: Toolchanger and Artcam
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »
Gary-  Yup.  I did get a post that was a good working post- thanks.  It didnt have TC in the file name though.  When I tried to post a multiple tool file in Artcam it wouldn't let me save the toolpath.  My tool database in Artcam has its tools numbered differently.  Is there some other Artcam setting I need to do?    Thanks for your help.  The post works well otherwise, and your CV settings seem to be working well. 

Brett-   I have a Shopbot clone CNC router table that uses Mach 3 software on an Ascension 1000 controller.

Hope this helps.

Wayne from White Salmon

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »
Wayne, if the postp I sent you didn't have a TC in the name then it won't work to save multi toolpaths using different sized cutters, I will email the TC one when I get back to my design computer.
You may find it easier to add a tool change button to your run screen then input that positon on the settings page
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer

Wichita/Derby Kansas

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 06:52:04 AM »
Wayne, I have never seen any work done with Artcam for a lathe, but had to Ask. I know very little of it, but have friend that is sharp, use to be a seller. I have a macro that I made with the help of others that will read posotion at time of tool change, go to tool change posotion as set in settings page, ask if you want to auto touch off tool and then goes back to where it was and starts running.

Brett

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:43 AM »
Brett, Wayne's machine is not a lathe its a 4x8 router which has been upgraded to run Mach. I don't think Wayne has added an indexer, most that do, buy head and tailstocks from Harbour Freight and couple up to a stepper on "a" drive. Then you can take a 3d model (relief) in Artcam and rap it to a cylinder.
Here's a couple of examples done by Gene Marshall from quite some time back, done on shopbot with indexer using AC.

Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer

Wichita/Derby Kansas

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »
That's great! I play with it some and have seen work similar to this but don't know exactly how they do it. I hope to have a 4th axis some day and maybe I can figure that out. It is a powerful program if you know how to run it. My friend does amazing things with his. He is very good and knowledgeable in Artcam.

Brett

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Brett, let me know if you need help when you get ready, I am an Artcam dealer.
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer

Wichita/Derby Kansas

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
Gary, you lucky rascal, I only get to play with it when I go to my friends. I wish I had it. I don't know if it is that good, or he is just so good it makes look that way, but it is nice and very powerful.

Brett