Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:36:08 AM

Author Topic: MOTOR LOCK-UP ON RAPID MOVEMENT  (Read 20830 times)

Re: MOTOR LOCK-UP ON RAPID MOVEMENT
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »
Hi Brian,

I am currently using Mach 2 but I guess I could install Mach 3 and try it in Sherline Mode.  Going over your past reponses I noticed something that I might have misunderstood.  When you said to set the step to 5uS long did you mean the minimum pulse width? RIght now that is set to 1 and the direction prechange is set to 0.

Steve
Regards,
Steve

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly."

- Batman costume warning label, Wal-Mart, 1995
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
Yes the min pulse width, set it to 5 and see how that runs.. you can insatll Mach3 nd 2 on the same computer too :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
Great I will give that a try in the morning.  Is there a way to setup mach 3 using the settings for mach 2 without going through the whole process of sorting out the setup again?

Steve
Regards,
Steve

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 08:33:50 PM »
Nope you are going to get to set everything up again :(

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »
All my active low pins are checked off for my X/Y/Z axis in my output pins section. How do I know if this is correct?
Regards,
Steve

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 08:44:55 PM »
It should be okay...

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 08:51:43 PM »
That's cool.  I will work with this for now and see if either the 5uS width or if Sherline mode works better.  Cheers!
Regards,
Steve

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 08:55:45 PM »
Great, i hope this gets you fixed up!

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 09:57:49 PM »
Hi Brian / Wayne,

I spent most of the afternoon running tests on my router.  I changed the minimum step width to 5uS and reduced the kernal speed to 25000 Hz and reduced the aceeleration to 1.1 U/S^2.  I repeated the bench tests starting at max velocity and kept slowing it down until the motor sounded smooth.  I came to the conclusion that a velocity setting of 0.6 in/sec felt right.  The motors run fairly well (sputtering occaisionally) at speeds up to 0.75 in/sec but on long runs with all the motors running at 50in/sec they almost always stall after about 5 to 10 seconds.  I also noted that my problem of sputtering starts to show up at all speeds above 0.6 in/sec.

The 0.6 in/sec setting is a little better than what I had with my original settings. So I hooked up the motors to the router and ran them through a series of long run cycles both individually and simultaneously.  The good news is that with this setup I did not experience a stall. To see if I could improve the speed on the machine, I tried increasing the velocity. Again at anything over 0.6 in/sec the motors start to sputter and stall at 50 in/sec just like on the bench tests.

My feeling is that the issue will likely repeat itself because I really did not notice a change.  Although after about 1 hour of cycls with the 0.6 in/sec settings I realize that my original problem of stalling once or twice on a long cycle (4 to 9 hours) may still occur.

I think that my drives are either bad or not capable of driving these motors properly.  I know that they should be able to cope with mid band resonance stabilize the motor but from what am seeing it sure looks like it is not doing ti very well.

Any ideas?

Steve
Regards,
Steve

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 03:28:46 AM »
have you looked inside this driver box you have to see which drives area in there?