Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 08:56:31 AM

Author Topic: Super-tech servo Taig conversion problem  (Read 3984 times)

Super-tech servo Taig conversion problem
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:51:42 AM »
Hello,
Brand new first post here, am not sure if this is the correct section of the forums.

Ok, here is my situation; I purchased a used Taig mini mill that was converted to CNC by Super-tech.com.  It is a servo system that has gecko drivers but used the old Supercam software to control it.  By old I mean it took a windows98 box to control it. 
The Supercam software was ok, but it is really dated and it had problems if I tried taking any g-code into it and I can forget about doing 3d surfacing. 

My machine is similar to this http://www.super-tech.com/root/grp.asp?p1=PN_TAIG-3000-LBGS-C.

I got hold of a different computer and installed Mach3 but am having some problems setting it up.  First, the pin out listed in the documentation states “The pin assignments conform to the our stepper machine tool controllers with the exception that Pin 15 is used to indicate to SuperCam the Servo Fault condition.

The signal directions are with respect to the Controller Box.

Pin 2 input X axis step.
Pin 3 input X movement direction.
Pin 4 input Y axis step.
Pin 5 input Y movement direction.
Pin 6 input Relay A on when high.
Pin 7 input Relay B on when high.
Pin 8 input Z axis step.
Pin 9 input Z movement direction.
Pin 11 output X limit switch.
Pin 12 output Y limit switch.
Pin 13 output Z limit switch.
Pin 14 input START
Pin 15 output Servo Fault
Pin 16 input must be high
Pin 17 input STOP
Pins 18 through 25 are ground, signal return.”

To activate the controllers and drivers it sends a constant signal out thru pin 14,  I think this what Mach3 calls a charge/pump.  I did this and it activated the control box and I was able to get the mill to jog well, except for the X axis that was working extra and kept stuttering when trying to move.   The x axis was very jerky.

After rebooting the system stopped activating the control box when mach3 got loaded.  I ran the signal test and it looks good but now I can’t even get the spindle to activate.

Another problem is that I can’t figure out the correct count on the encoders and an accurate travel feed rate.  The Supercam manual has not been very helpful and I’ve not been able to get them to call me back because of the holidays.  They have taken this particular system off the website since they updated their products.

This is my big project to get working over my x-mas break from school and I really want to start cutting some parts in 3d.

Any help at all would be great.
Re: Super-tech servo Taig conversion problem
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:06:13 AM »
I got hold of a different computer and installed Mach3 but am having some problems setting it up. 

Old system:
Pentium 2 desktop
Win 98
Running original Supercam
Jogged accurately but difficult to get g-code into it.

New system:
P4  -  1.2ghz  desktop
Win XP
Running mach3
Can take G-code no problem.
Will accurately jog on X and Z  but not Y axis.

I was able to get the XML file from Dennis at Super-tech and it only needed a little adjustment for my particular machine.  Dennis and the file he has sent have been a big help.

My problem is that the Y-axis  is not tracking properly.  It is spinning normal one second then continues to spin but not turn the screw.  When running a program it tracks but it is not consistent one pass a one inch line will be 1”, then 5/8”, and then ¾”.
I checked the cable with a multimeter and it is reading 5v on several pins.  So, I’m not sure if it is a glitch there.

When I hooked it back up to the old win98 box and old software, it still runs fine.

Please help.  I have spent several days trying to get this working and I will have no time when school starts back up next week.

I just don’t know what to try next.