Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:37:34 AM

Author Topic: rapid travel problem  (Read 4784 times)

rapid travel problem
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:46:54 PM »
Hello
 I am running Mach 2 with a plasma cutter. I am having trouble with rapid travel overspeeding and losing steps. It only does it during a diagonal move. A straight line movement with x or y, it works fine, but x and y together, it jumps the speed up. It will do it running a program and jogging.
 Thanks for any help
 Chuck
Re: rapid travel problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:09:37 AM »
If you hold down the shift key and jog is the axis okay?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »
...hummm...   ;)  I think if you change out your power supply with one capable of putting out higher current you will be able to run all axes together with less concern of losing steps. 
  (easier said than done though)

John (bloy)

P.S.  Like Nascar, You change out that carb/intake manifold on the engine(unless the "restrictor plate" rule is in effect), to gain that edge in power.... or something like that. 
   (note...this post is intended for entertainment purposes)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:43:51 AM by Bloy »
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
Brian
 I haven't tried that yet, but I turned the aceration down some more. Then it started losing steps during the cut, but not while I was dry running a program or jogging. I have motors tuned to maximun speed that they can handle and I cut at the same speed.  When I first started running it was the same, now during an angler rapid move it trys to go faster than max speed. John is problay right because I am still in the go carts, no where near NASCAR.
 Chuck
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »
Okay so I think you are going to have to slowdown a bit... What is your FRO set to ?

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »
Brian
 I think I got it fixed. the units per second wasn't set the same on x and y in the motor tuning. It hasn't stalled since. But the feed rate DRO is still showing to be going faster in an angular move. The FRO is set at 40 ipm which is tops for my motors.
 Chuck
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:57:39 PM »
It will show it going faster in the angle move... 45 will be the fastest Speed = ( 40^2 + 40^2 ) ^.5  = 56.57 IPM in a 45 Deg move.
As you can see each axis is doing only 4o IPM.
Hope that helps
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 04:07:39 PM »
Brian
 Yes that helps knowing that. But could you explain you formula a little more. I write down all helpful formulas with explanations to remember with. A lot of them I may go a year with out needing and I forget how and have to look it up. The past 5 years I have worked in a shop that has everything on CAD, no paper prints. That will really spoil you fast. When I have to do a trig problem I have to stop and think for a while.
 Thanks Chuck
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 06:46:39 PM »
Chuck what I did was to Sum two vectors with the distance formula. This is how the formula works (XVel^2 + YVel^2)^.5 = MixVel

www.machsupport.com