Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:07:57 PM

Author Topic: What is a CHARGE PUMP?  (Read 10004 times)

What is a CHARGE PUMP?
« on: April 22, 2006, 08:05:57 AM »
And do I need one?
Re: What is a CHARGE PUMP?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 08:08:38 AM »
nope you will not need one (at first). The charge pump is a macro that runs all the time in Mach.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 12:35:02 PM »
What does it do, And what is it used for?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »
It can do anything that you like... I just made a program here : http://machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=509.0  to make 125% the max Feed override

www.machsupport.com

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:10:16 PM »
Ooops Brian I think you mean a Macropump ;-)

The charge pump thing is a circuit Mariss at Geckodrive designed to allow an extra  safety feature in cnc programs.

The circuit is a one shot circuit that turns on a relay if and ONLY if a 12.5Khz signal is seen on the input.   Mach puts out this signal if you can use it.

If the software or the pc crashes then the relay is de-energised, which can cut power to your drives etc.

Also avoids any clunking and motors turning on at bootup.

If you want to play safe then yes you need it.

Wayne...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »
You know you are right  ;D I don't know why I was thinking macro pump...

thank you for setting me straight

www.machsupport.com

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 06:59:10 PM »
maybe you were just all "pumped" up about your mill hehehe
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:40:32 AM »

The charge pump thing is a circuit Mariss at Geckodrive designed to allow an extra safety feature in cnc programs.

The circuit is a one shot circuit that turns on a relay if and ONLY if a 12.5Khz signal is seen on the input. Mach puts out this signal if you can use it.

If the software or the pc crashes then the relay is de-energised, which can cut power to your drives etc.

Wayne...

I just now realized that I had failed to carefully read this post. Thanks Wayne. That's an explanation I think I can work with. I don't know precisely what it means but I think I have a good enough idea of how to check into it. I'm only now to the point (in my build) where I am able to power up my system and watch my three motors run while clamped to a table. I haven't built my chassis yet. I've noticed that when I power up I always hear a clunk. Just one little clunk. I have no idea what it is but I think maybe this is what you're referring to. I hope you're not saying this is harmful.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:43:54 AM »

The charge pump thing is a circuit Mariss at Geckodrive designed to allow an extra safety feature in cnc programs.

The circuit is a one shot circuit that turns on a relay if and ONLY if a 12.5Khz signal is seen on the input. Mach puts out this signal if you can use it.

Wayne...

"signal is seen on the input"   It will help me a lot when I get the jargon figured out. When you say "input" are you talking about data that I send from my keyboard to Mach?

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:44:47 PM »
no not quite...    The charge pump is a small circuit designed by Mariss Freimanis of Geckodrive which has an input.  This input is connected to an output on the printer port which has been assigned as the Charge Pump signal.

When Mach is running and not in an error state this output has a 12.5kHz pulse appearing on it.

The circuit mentioned above, monitors this signal and if it dissapears for any reason opens a relay, this relays contacts would normally be part of the external E-stop chain.  So if it opens your drives etc could be disabled.

Wayne...