Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:57:24 PM

Author Topic: "HOMEBREW" Lathe, My Intro. to Mach and CNC  (Read 19540 times)

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
Re: "HOMEBREW" Lathe, My Intro. to Mach and CNC
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »
Mach controls the x axis based upon the spindle position,  this spindle position is reported by a once/revolution pulse from a pickup you need on your spindle.

If you know your speed you may already have one?

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Hello Filipe,
All that you need to cut threads is an index pulse on the spindle.
This is the one that I used.  http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=129 
It's not clear in your post how far along you are.   
And of course you will need motors and drivers for each axis, a power supply and a breakout board.
You can research the tutorials link at the top of this page for system requirements and the like.
Everything else is done with the Mach software. You can write the code by hand or use the wizard in M3Turn. The thread cutting function is dissabled if you do not have the license file.
Download the "Using Mach3 Turn" manual. It explains everything pretty well.

Regards,
RC
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 02:40:11 AM »
Thanks.

I have everthing done, execpt the tread function.
I do not need it for the lathe that I am working on, since it will be making especific parts all without treads.
But I am also working on a larger machine that would be cool to open treads on it (this is probably the most amazing thing that a lathe can do in automatic mode (conic treads !)).

Thank you very much. The index / per revolution seens little to make quality treads (poor information), but since you have done it, it is the right thing.

Filipe
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 02:42:24 AM »
Mr zarzul.

The speed is obtained using a potenciometer connected to the variable frequency. I think that is not accurate enough.
I have the lathe in painting, so I can not test anything, but I will ckeck later.

Thank for the info.

ynneb

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 03:14:18 AM »
Superb !

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
RC,
Your lathe is what i had in mind for a custom CNC lathe. Got most of the parts needed, rails, ball screws, 5c head from a mill, variable speed dirve and a 1 hp DC motor. I have put the project on hold since I got a free CNC Sherline and don't need another ( good grief, 3 lathes, and still playing) at the moment. So would like your thoughts on the future project.
If you were to do it over what are some of the things would you do or change?
RICH
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 07:38:56 PM »
Hey RICH,
The MAIN thing that I would do different, and did for my next one, is to at least start with an existing bed and headstock/spindle assy.
I bought an old OLD Hardinge production lathe. Flat belt, 4c collet, threaded spindle nose and a lever type collet closer. GOOD spindle bearings. It was an excellent platform to build from. VERY rigid and the bulk of the build is done at this point. $129.00.
I need to post a pic and see if anyone recognizes the model, maybe provide the vintage or year of mfg. I don't think it's as old as Ron Ginger's railroad lathe..but it might be a close second place for the "Oldest CNC Lathe" award.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,5654.0.html
I also got lucky and found some Gilman dovetail slides..BRAND new and real cheap. I used 1 of these for the Z and used THK rails and trucks for the X. Also used THK ball screws instead of the cheaper Thomson.
These are perfect for what I do, nothing over about 2 " long.
Someday, I hope to get a REAL lathe. Till then, I'm just tinkering.
Good luck,
RC
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »
 :)
Here is that "Old Timer" I mentioned earlier.
Since version 008 when threading really stabilized, it's been working real well.
9000 parts run in succession with NO bad ones. Tight tolerance on the threads too.

Guards removed here during PM.

Next oldest to Ron G's.

RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
That's excellent, RC, but ......with those lights, it looks like you're using it in a strip club  :D

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 10:27:21 PM »
 ;) Blue Light Special