Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 11:20:17 AM

Author Topic: Code for Gang Tooling  (Read 3051 times)

Code for Gang Tooling
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:43:28 PM »
Greetings,
I just built a small lathe with Gang tooling. I set tool #1 as Master and set-up tools 2 & 3 in the tool table. I'm not sure how to write the code. when my program gets to T0202 it stops. Click cycle start and it resumes. I need to see an example of how a program cycles through the various tools.
My 1st tool faces and turns the end of a tube.
Tool 2 cuts a chamfer on the OD and ID.
Tool 3 threads the tube.
This thread, http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4699.0.html     does a similar operation but everything is done with what appears to be one tool offset. What is the most common way of doing this ?
Any help ?
Thanks Much
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:12:45 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Code for Gang Tooling
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 04:52:55 PM »
Have you got the tool changer setting set right in the general config, it sounds as if you have it set to stop and wait for cycle start.

If thats not the problem then why not post your code and lets pull the bones out of it.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
Re: Code for Gang Tooling
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »
Hello Graham,
The machine is at my shop, I did not bring the code file home today. I rewrote it to run with 1 tool offset but of course only 1 tool and its cuts are dimensionally correct in the DRO.
"Ignore tool change" is checked in config.
This is basically how it was:
G18 G20 G40 G90 G95
T0101
G0 X.5 Z0
G1 X.3
G0 Z.5
G0 X1 Z1
T0202
G0 X.45 Z.08
G76     Thread Cut
G0 Z2
G0 X-2
M30

I'm not sure if I am to use G54-G59 for this. The M3Turn manual illustrates using the tool table and tool #.
Anyway, the offsets in the table are right, the program just stops at each tool change an needs cycle start to resume.
I will eventually use 4 or maybe 5 tools on the toolplate and would like each to read correctly in the DRO.
I'm totally green at this. Mach is my introduction to CNC and I find it truly AMAZING.
I read these forums a lot and have picked up quite a bit. I'm fortunate that professionals like yourself are willing to help.

Thanks again for your help.