Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:17:18 PM

Author Topic: TECHNO ISEL  (Read 8190 times)

TECHNO ISEL
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:26 AM »
My son recently purchased a techno isel !9 x 24, 3 axis cnc router that is approx 10 yrs old. As an old retired guy I am trying to help him set it up. It came with a old compaq computer and mastercam software with a interface that uses   (.nci)  file extensions.  We want to continue to use Vcarve.  What are my options??   The machine has a nec style circuit board with a 50 pin plug and the computer has win98.  SRV400 servo controller card.  Maybe I could move the computer interface card to a new computer and use mach2 or 3  ??   

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: TECHNO ISEL
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
I am not familiar with the  particular machine you are talking about, but the mastercam software should be OK. It will convert the file into G code which is what a machine runs on, and, as far as I know, is common to most machines.

Unfortunately, however, I do not think Mach3 will run on Windows 98, so you will have to update your computer to Windows XP or Vista. The problem with that is, if you buy a new computer, it may not have the correct ports for connecting to your miller. Is there some interface card between the Compaq and the milling machine ??? How does the Compaq communicate with it ??
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:05:35 AM »
There is a circuit bd that I could change to another computer that I use for Vcarve development. It has winxp.  Mastercam6 won't run on xp so I've been trying the forums to see if mach2 or 3 would work with the nec connector card.  I guess the only thing to do is try it.  I don't want to get to a point where nothing works.... if you know what I mean.

This techno isel was barely used and sat in a garage for quite some time...The owner didn't know how to use it and sold the whole kit and kaboodle for $1200 so I'd love to get it working without having to upgrade to gecko's etc.....

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »
Mach3 needs a pentium4 and at least 1GHZ cpu clock. You will most likely need a newer pc. Get a dell for about 400$. A friend of mine did that and that works well.
Even if you upgrade the system a bit, you will have a very useful machine. That Isel might even be a servo system.... Why not contact the Isel guy's. They will reveal the details.
Good luck
Lemo
Cut five times and still to short...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:09:55 PM »
I have 3 shop computers.  I have one that is xp and plenty of power for mach2 or 3. I'm going to try to run some tests tomorrow with the current circuit bd in a new computer with mach2. My son uses mach 3 so I am sure he can give me some help.  I have a 3 axis servo machine with a spare servo set that I'll use with an indexer some near future...

Just came in from the shop and found a Gcode program that runs my .ncd files.  A wonderful discovery...  All I have to do is save it in the Techno ncd format.. I had been trying to run the pcservo program and it only does .nci....

I believe I'm ok now unless I want to upgrade to a newer machine.   The pcb that goes in to run the mill is a full length card and takes the old style big plug which newer boxes don't have...

Thanks for all your help.....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:14:00 PM by Cuemaker »

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »
Be sure to read and go through the mach3 windows xp optimizing procedure as little disruptions can create weird speed behavior.
Cheers
Lemo

PS;Yup, those older cards are not usable in faster newer systems. I don't buy build in cards for that reason. WHo knows what bus the next generation has...
Cut five times and still to short...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 07:25:27 AM »
Thanks Lemo...  I think for now I'll just keep this system.  I have 2 old computers this card will fit in, altho someday soon after getting with techno isel that I'll upgrade if it isn't too costly to mach3.  I also want to upgrade to a 4th axis. I already have a spare servo. I might mount my old indexer here and use see if I can get it working.  Hate to change tho and have it not work and bewithout, so probably just get another indexer..  I saved some of my old drawings in .ncd format and they ran perfectly.   I tried to do some things with Mastercam  (whoaaaa   what a job trying to understand that manual.  Each time I tried to convert something it came out looking scrambled.  Glad to not have to use that at this point....     anyway thanks again and have a nice day..