Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:16:52 AM

Author Topic: Motors work with R2xtune but nothing with Mach!  (Read 3951 times)

Motors work with R2xtune but nothing with Mach!
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:16:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've not long installed and configured Mach 3 Version 2.60 as per the video. I have used the Rutex R2xtune software and the servos successfully run the test profile. I'm confident I've configured Mach correctly but nothing happens when I try to jog the axes, the motor just holds in the one position.
I'll just step through a few points here to clarify where I'm at currently:

Reset button is solid.
Jog on/off is highlited. Slow jog rate is 95%
Port 1 is ticked and set at 0x378 which is consistent with lpt1 properties.
kernel speed is 25000Hz
x axis enabled, step pin 3, dir pin 2, dir high active, step high active, step port 1, dir port 1
y axis enabled, step pin 5, dir pin 4, dir high active, step high active, step port 1, dir port 1
z axis enabled, step pin 7, dir pin 6, dir high active, step high active, step port 1, dir port 1

Motor tuning:
X axis steps per 1536, velocity 164.04, acceleration 89.98 step pulses 0 direction pulses 0 (I've tried these at 5 on both)
Y and Z axes are almost identical to the X settings.

Any suggestions as to what's wrong?

Thanks
Splint

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Motors work with R2xtune but nothing with Mach!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:52:42 AM »
Fine - but to determine this is a problem with "jog" and not the motor drivers - can you move the motors at all ?

Can you enter a manual command - eg G0 X1 or similar on any axis and get any movement at all.

You will need some entry on the step and direction pulse timings, since a 0 means no pulse.

The only other thing is to try active low on the step pulses - what do your driver cards require ??

Do your drivers cards have a general enable pin that requires some signal on before they will activate ??
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
Fine - but to determine this is a problem with "jog" and not the motor drivers - can you move the motors at all ?

No movement at all. If I try and turn the motor shaft it resists and returns back to its' position, the only rotation I can get from the motor is through the drive tuning software.

Can you enter a manual command - eg G0 X1 or similar on any axis and get any movement at all.

I ran cross.tap from the g-code folder but no movement at the motor.

You will need some entry on the step and direction pulse timings, since a 0 means no pulse.

I've tried settings at 1 and 5 with no success.

The only other thing is to try active low on the step pulses - what do your driver cards require ??

Yeah, I tried active low, didn't make any difference.

Do your drivers cards have a general enable pin that requires some signal on before they will activate ??

I've not seen anything in the documentation about that type of requirement.

For what it's worth I only have one motor hooked up to a drive on the y axis, I was on the x axis earlier but changed to y to see if that would work. The x and z cards are plugged into the motherboard but have no encoder/motor wiring attached.
I can run the r2xtune software from Rutex and can get the motor running on any axis with that. I also ran Rutex Setup 4.3.0.347 which is an Artsoft product which installs a driver, it has a tuning program bundled with it and I can get the motor to move with that, just cant get Mach to move the motors.

Thanks
Splint

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »
Hi, Splint

Hear is a link to Rutex US thy have a diag for your 2120 board, http://www.rutex.com/us/home/index.htm

Have you disconnected the SPI jumpers used for tuning ?

Thy won't run Step/Dir, When in SPI Tune Mode. (Happen to Me 991 setup, Easy to miss).

In Mach3 Diagnostic page dose it show Pulse Frequency & Time in Int, Wtrh changing Values, Should Be changing.

Hope this Helps, Chip

You got it going, Great to hear, Chip
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:06:05 PM by afn09556 »
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:34:51 PM »

Have you disconnected the SPI jumpers used for tuning ?

Thy won't run Step/Dir, When in SPI Tune Mode. (Happen to Me 991 setup, Easy to miss).

Thanks Chip, you got it in one. I see what you mean about it being easy to miss, got it working now though.

Thanks again, and thanks also to Jimpinder
Splint