Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:00:44 PM

Author Topic: Writing Wizards  (Read 11855 times)

Writing Wizards
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »
Hello, Ive never written a wizard before, Is there a place where I can learn how?
All i need is a simple facing wizard with an eleven degree surface, or maybe a stepped 11 degree.
I've tried to get the turning wizards to do it but I keep getting errors if I have the angle the way I want it.
Thanks
Steve

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Wizards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
Is this for turning?

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »
Yes It is for turning, crowning or facing off the end of rifle barrels.
I would like it to face off at eleven degrees, with maybe a step in the middle.
Thanks

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:45:53 PM »

Steve,

You can see how wizards are written by using the screen editor, open one of the turn wizards under the turn-addons folder,  then by editing the button "post code" you can view and change the visual basic program that writes the gcode.  If you are not familiar with visual basic, you could just write your gcode to perform the crowning and modify it for the different barrel diameters and bore diameters you encounter.  Writing the gcode would probably be easier since to do a wizard you need to know how to write the gcode anyway. 

Do you  actual do straight or angled facing cuts or I always thought they were rounded somewhat like a donut?

I think you could use a G2 command and come up with a donut type radius.

I have created several additional turn wizards, I think they are in the downloads section.  If you get started and need help just holler.  We could use more wizards for turn.

Arnie
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 03:39:17 PM »
Most factory crowns are rounded I prefer an 11 degree target style, and actually I prefer a double 11 degree stepped crown.
I wrote a g-code for it just now and am going to try it out here in a minute. I was thinking the wizard would be nice for the double step.
Then I could just input the important dimensions and go.
I'll get around to writing one sooner or later.
When I get time I'll play with the screen editor.
Thanks

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:51:30 PM »
If you send me some more details, maybe even post the gcode you wrote here and I may be able to do up a wizard in a couple of weeks.

I have been playing with the G3, 
z-.2
x1
g3 x.4 z-.2 i.7 k-.5

makes a nice rounded donut shape

a wizard that selects different styles would be nice, then entering the barrel id & od, clearance, feed speeds, rough & finish cuts.

Arnie
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »
I take it Mach does not support G 07!
That would make it allot easier.
Any how I cannot seam to find the screen editor. Where is it? Do I open Mach turn and go in through there or am I looking for a file in the folder through windows?
Thanks

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 11:22:55 AM »
The screen editors are separate programs.  To get the screen editor go to the downloads area of the machsupport page, not to be confused with the downloads section of the forums,
and you will find the screen4 and some others. 
You run these separately. 
From their file menu you will want to open a wizard screen set, they are located under the \mach3\turnaddons . 
Once they are opened you can go to the different pages and edit the buttons and controls. 

There is a way do look at the code from right in Mach3 but I have never used it so I couldn't comment on it.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 03:18:36 PM »
If you would post your gcode, and what parameters you want to have control over, I can write you up a no frills barrel facing wizard.

scott
fun times
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »
My G-code got a little out of hand. I ended up with a big sset that would face off barrels up to 1.2 inches in diameter at 11 degrees. It goes something like this:

starting zeros for z and x would be on the center line of barrel even with the end

g01 z.2671 x1.2 f08
g00
x0
z-.005
g01 z.2621 x1.2 f08
g00
x0
z-.010
g01 z.2571 x1.2 f08

and it goes on untill the depth gives you a complete eleven degree cut.

I would want to be able to input:

the diameter of barrel, that would be the x number in the line g01 z.2517 x(insert diameter here) f08

the total depth of cut, that would be the number of times it looped around subtracting .005 from the z every time around

And maybe feed rate for the roughing passes and finish pass

THanks
Steve
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:14:16 AM by suntiet »