Hello Guest it is October 01, 2026, 03:58:47 PM

Author Topic: Homing Offset in Control Plugin  (Read 121 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« on: September 19, 2026, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi,
I've been configuring my machine to run MachPro from its current Mach4 installation.

I have home switches on all three axes. The Y axis home switch event occurs with the table closest, thus the actual desired machine coordinate at that location is not 0 but rather
350, with 350mm being the travel of the Y axis. I have always used Home Offset in Mach4 and worked fine. For some reason MachPro will NOT set the machine coordinate to the programmed (350)
Home Offset but always set the machine coordinate to 0 irrespective of whether I program Home Offset or not.

Anyone had the same problem?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2026, 11:30:31 AM »
Just to dive in a bit deeper, what homing method are you using? Index pulse, Home in Place, Off a Home | Limit Switch?
Thanks,

Paul
Re: Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2026, 02:32:46 PM »
Hi Paul,
at the time I found this issue MachPro was running via the ESS to my machine. Eventually I have gotten Homing to work.

Initially I had a great deal of trouble because I could not apply a HomeOffest as I have done in Mach4.

My Z axis homes to its home switch which is within 2mm-3mm of the very topmost point of travel. The Z axis backs of the switch until it deactivates and zeros the machine
coordinate for the Z axis. Normal, easy and as expected.

The X axis homes with the table within 2mm-3mm of the extreme right-hand most extent of travel. The X axis backs of the switch until it deactivates and zeros the machine
coordinate for the X axis.  Normal, easy and as expected.

The Y axis homes to its home switch with 2mm-3mm of its very closest approach to me. Thus when it stops, and then backs up until the switch deactivates the axis is 'homed', but it
is at my expectation homed to 350mm, not zero. In Mach4 I have nominated 350mm as the HomeOffset (Control/Homing-SoftLimits tab), and the machine coordinate is set no to zero
but to my desired HomeOffset.

MachPro (to date) has refused to apply the nominated HomeOffset, and instead sets the machine coordinate for the Y axis to zero. This in turn means that anywhere within the machining envelope
the Y axis machine coordinate is negative, between 0 and -350. It does work, and in most circumstances I do not need or regularly view the machine coordinates, but when I do, I find
that the negative value hard to interpret. In my current Mach4 installation where the machine coordinate has the HomeOffset applied the machine coordinate for the Y axis within the machining
envelope is always positive, from 0 to 350. This is my preference.

Is there a reason that MachPro will not apply a Home Offset as Mach4, and Mach3 before that has done?

Craig
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 02:42:00 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2026, 03:45:36 PM »
Hi,

When it comes to homing, if you are homing to a limit switch, your motion controller will be handling any and all motion, positional data, and offset data. The DRO's will display whatever the motion controller reports it should say. If that is not happening with your Y axis, then we need to get with Warp9 to address the issue. If you are using "Home in place" Offset functionality was removed in version 5363 of Mach4. I am digging into the reason why this removal happened for home in place..
Thanks,

Paul
Re: Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2026, 05:12:55 PM »
Hi,
I am homing to a physical switch. I have a home switch about 2mm-3mm inside the extreme end of travel, with a limit switch a little outside that, say 1mm short of
extreme travel.

I get that the DRO reports the position declared by the motion control (ESS), but the why does the HomingOffset parameter appear in the Control/Homing-SoftLimits tab?
If this were entirely ESS thing then would you not expect the HomingOffset parameter to be declared and maintained in the ESS plugin?

Anyway it sounds like the ESS v236 plugin, that used in MachPro differs from the ESS Mach4 plugin.

As I say I have got it figured out but end up with the machining envelope including negative machine coordinates for the Y axis. The Z axis I'm well used to, but the Y axis????

Craig
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 05:21:57 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
Re: Homing Offset in Control Plugin
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2026, 08:44:20 AM »
Is the Y axis on your machine a slave axis?

When I get back to the office, I'll set up a ESS and do some testing to see if I can make sense of what is going on.

Motion controllers should have access to our signals and configurations.
Thanks,

Paul