Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 04:00:25 AM

Author Topic: Steam Engine Name Plates  (Read 15087 times)

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Engine Name Plates
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
Rob it's late now and I haven't been great today but I'll reply later with better detail.

The 8000 is just a default speed for the tool, I can't be bothered changing it but I usually cut badges on the router which has a Kress spindle that goes from 10,000 to 30,000 but I usually run at about 12,000 because of the noise.

The uncut parts are due to the fact V carve programs the code to the cutter and if the angle is different you get a different look to the part, undercutting etc.

I'll post a screen shot later of the setup screen and the cutter, that will also answer Davids questions, but for now David a D bit is a round tool that when looked end on looks like a 'D' with the flat part being 1/2 the diameter and is also the cutting edge.
Good pic here [ no connection, just a pic ]

[edit] The limitation on V carve is it can only post files that can be saved with the .crv suffix. The demo can't save but if you have the file then you can rework it. That's why you can cut the bulls head file and others inside V Carve as they have given you the crv file.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:16:36 PM by John S »
Re: Steam Engine Name Plates
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 07:36:21 AM »
Great project Rob & John!

Just to clarify why the bottom edge of the logo hasn't been cleaned-up properly.

As John said, the cutter size and geometry are very important, especially when engraving small components. The software offsets the cnc code to allow for the specified cutter angle and flat diameter, so if these dimensions are different on the cutter actually used to engrave the piece, the results will not be correct.

As this project is relatively shallow it's the Flat diameter on the D-bit / engraving cutter that is more important. Looking at Robs picture and I'd say the flat on the cutter is a touch smaller than John specified in VCarve Pro. This has resulted in slightly less material being cut away all over the job.

Great to see the pictures of the actual engraved logo!

Thanks for the support John, it's very appreciated.

Tony