Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:39 PM

Author Topic: More hands..  (Read 14137 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
More hands..
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »
Hi Guys

Latest hands from testing.. one is dual strips and hgasd registration errors, but its getting there..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Re: More hands..
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:11:47 PM »
And a fresh model of my hand after cleaning more..

amazing thing is, I recognise the hand as my own.. :)

Art

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:50:36 AM »
Ok Art, this is looking great now, how are we going to use this to get a tool path into MACH and then machine it?  What are you using?  I've got VCarve Pro but I'd like to do some full 3D work like the Vectric Cut 3D.  Have any idea about stitching multiple views together?

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »
Hi:

Im afraid its a slow iterative process till we get ther.e At the moment, Im just finished the cleaning algorithms, computeing th tangents of each poin, reprojecting to the denoised surface normals , and decimating the cloud. My next step is to triangulate the cloud, then stl the output. At that point, I think VCarves will load the model and a toolpath can be built. At that point, Ill call MachCloud a done deal.
  Its all very nasty math though, so it'll take awhile yet.. But it IS getting better all the time.
     The hands above were simply draped in Rhino, no extra cleaning was done in Rhino, so as you can see from the model, the quality is improving quite a bit as I go.. not yet perfect, not as far as preprocessing, I think Im done, now I need to triangulate, then post process
to refinement levels, then Ill be done. Expect it to take a few weeks more anyway..

Art

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
Hi Art,

You know I was just teasing you.  I know how you are with a product and MACH3 is a fine example of how you turn out software.  I don't think you'll ever have it completely done as you'll always be tweaking on something in the code.   ;D  And when someone asks about something to be added of tweaked you'll be there to see if it can be done.  I can't wait for the laser to show up so I can try it out and play with it too.

I was wondering, when you did the scan of your hand did you just job the "Y" axis manually?  At what rate of speed?  I was thinking about putting the camera and the laser on a device like an axis and then turn everything on and have the camera move slowly down the object or across the object and when it hit the limit switch, shut off and the scanned object would be captured to the PC ready for doing to it whatever needs to be done.  I thought about this when I first saw the David system.

Keep up the great work!!

Greg

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
Hi Greg:

No, the scanner makes the moves. For that hand, I told it to do a 1mm Y stepover for 250mm's. It scansn that automatically when you tell it to go..  I have alot of modifications to make once I get it meshing, and I think Ill be able to clean it up quite a bit...

Art

Offline Haik

•  71 71
  • MachUser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »
Hi Art,

What's causing the Z-Level "stair stepping" in the scans?  Is there a fix or setting that I can implement to minimize this adverse affect?

I have the same problem, I seem to get really great scans except for the "stair stepping.  When I build meshes and surfaces I have a lot of averaging and smoothing to do to get a good result to go to CAM with.

Thanks in advance.

-Haik

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »
haik:

As yet, Im unsure, when I have all the pices working, Ill go back and make each one more robust,
I suspect its coming from the scan angle being a bit iff or something.. but I will be correcting for that some
in the post processing steps..

Art

Offline klmark

•  107 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:15:50 AM »
Hey Art
  I see no hair on your hands Ha Ha Ha. And Want to let you know it looks GOODS
        klmark

Offline Perfo

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
You've had a nasty break on that thumb of yours at some point :) . Are you actually scanning your hand or some plaster model of it ?  Would coating the surface of the object being scanned with something help? Even something like talc to try and stop rogue reflections?