Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:51:21 PM

Author Topic: Arcs in Turn wizards  (Read 11115 times)

Re: Arcs in Turn wizards
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:12:59 AM »
I have my TCL set up with a toolplate and just set a nominal X zero Y zero as an origin by setting the Mach3 displays to zero. This could be done with any tool. This sets the origin like on graph paper. All other tools are then jogged to their start point and the values read off on the Mach3 screen, these values are then used in my G code. The code is a bit scruffy but it is quick to do. This method would not work if you needed to use wizards but it eliminates any confusion over front and rear toolposts. Not tried to do radii yet but assume it would just be a matter of establishing the start point on the "graph paper" from the mach3 screen display and deciding whether to do a concave or a convex cut. It should be possible to incorporate these values in the tool table as offsets and I may do this just to show it can be done.
The spindle always runs clockwise, so my "front" tool is mounted upside down, compared to the parting tool.
The code for my little video is on the Yahoo Mach group files as  "Turret Video.txt"

Ian
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 06:29:19 AM »
Tony,

I forgot I had posted a reply to you in this thread :-
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,4699.0.html
Repeating an old story!

Ian

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
Ian,

while we are in contact, I believe you have an ATC for the TCL. Would it be possible to have a few basic dimensions of the rotary tooplate? Also is it's centre hieght on the spindle centre?  I'm in the process of trying to come up with a design for mine and it would save some time if I knew the limiting dimensions. I've never examined one closely, but from photos it look as though the tools are retained by a wedge action. Is this so?

Tony
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 06:14:22 PM »
Tony,

The turret has a new home now but I can get you any sizes that you may need. Centre height is the same as your current tools. Turret did have a wedge system for holding the turning tools, so that you could change tools without indexing but since you had to index to get at the grub screws for the drilling, it seemed an over complication.
I found it non user friendly and have gone over to a toolplate system. Have you seen my video of the hosetail? Using the turret it took about 60 seconds. With improvements to my TCL, this same job now takes only 35 seconds with a toolplate setup. I will try to do a video (not another video!!!!) in the next few days.

Ian

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 03:59:57 AM »
Thanks Ian, I don't want to put you to a lot of trouble, but overall diameter etc. would be a useful starting point. It would be nice to just build something that already works without designing everything from scratch. I don't want to use compressed air so it'll be a worm & ratchet or something similar.
From my limited experiments I find the toolplate rather restrictive and time consuming to set up. I think I would get on better with a set of tools that I can use for general purposes & quick setups. I don't envisage vast production runs of anything.

Tony
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:37 PM »
Tony,

I have sent you a PM.

Ian
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »
Tony,

I found the picture of the Boxford ratchet!

Ian
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
Hello Ian,
   Very nifty ratchet and pawl. Can you tell me the sequence of operation ?
Looks like a worm drive for the motor but what locks the turret against the pawl or in position after indexing ? Detents or a pin ?
Does the motor hold it ?

Thanks

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 06:27:16 AM »
Thanks for that, Ian. I imagine the stepper is a size 23, so I can probable scale the picture from that.  If the outside pair of holes in the feet of the casting that was used for fixing then they are 50mm apart. Also the centre height will be 35mm. Its certainly quite a substantial ratchet. Presumably you haven't a similar picture of the other side?

I think there is probably a lot of interest in the group in toolchangers generally, and it might be worth trying to collect any available information together in one place. Not sure how we do that.

Tony

Offline TonyP

•  132 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:53 AM »
I'll add a couple of pictures of the boxford turret that I've found elswhere.

Tony