Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:35:44 PM

Author Topic: USB - Parallel laptop  (Read 5377 times)

USB - Parallel laptop
« on: April 16, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »
Some of the new laptops only have a USB port.  Has anyone had success with a USB printer cable converter? 
Also concerned about getting a true 5Vdc to the controller.  Are there any power regulators out there that have had success?
Re: USB - Parallel laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 09:08:28 AM »
That will not work... Sorry
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
I have spend over 300.00$ and bought every single converter. NONE WILL WORK.
I bought a 150.00 PCMCICA slot to parallel and that didn't work.

I have bought laptops with a parallel port on them and they cause trouble.
The only laptops that will work are the ones that are build like portable desktops, like Alienware laptops.

I've spent many months figuring out ways, the only solution is the G-rex, or the future development of eithernet connection.
Maybe people can post a list of know laptops that work well with Mach2/3(I had a laptop that worked but would stall out the motors in jog mode).

Another thing to consider in both laptops and desktops are the dual core problem.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 04:18:24 PM »
The Grex is the way to go IF you need to have a laptop... Other than that use a desktop, you can get one for about 300 that will run like a dream

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »
Now I am really confused.  Reading through the Forum pages it seems many have had success with Laptops.  Is everyone running straight from a printer port?  Has anyone been successful running Gecko G201 drivers

Hood

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 04:54:36 PM »
I ran for a short time on an old laptop but was just testing things out so never did any real cutting, it did run fine though. The laptop was an old IBM (P3 900) and it had a parrallel port and I have G202's.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:56 AM »
I have also just gone through this process with no success at all. Brand new laptop. 1.7 GHZ centrino, 1GB Ram, etc, etc. I Tried 2 different PCMCIA to parallel adapters and neither could communiate with Mach at all. I just wanted to use a laptop because I thought it would be convenient to get all of my CNC done on the same machine. I decided that a $20 jump drive makes it easy enough to move files around and causes far fewer headaches.

Greg
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:09:05 AM »
Not the answer I was looking for, but as they say facts are facts.  As I venture into this new world of CNC I am sure more questions will arise.  This was my first time posting in the Forum.  I appreciate everyones responses.  It's good to know there are still people out there willing to take time to help others.  As I gain experience I hope to repay the favor.  Thanks,
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 07:15:30 PM »
Look forward to working with you!

www.machsupport.com