Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:49:30 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and Galil, What am I doing wrong?  (Read 10087 times)

Mach3 and Galil, What am I doing wrong?
« on: November 20, 2007, 09:47:07 AM »
I hope someone can help me,
I have been trying to get Mach to talk to my Galil card and have no luck.
1 st I was trying with an ISA DMC1040 and the pc would connect and Galil smart term worked but not Mach, O.K. it is old tech being ISA and all.
Now I have a DMC 1842 revd. All the posts tell me this should work!
I downloaded the latest Galil plugin yesterday, Installed the v2.6 Mach upgrade last night. Again Smart term connects to the board.
I do not have Smartterm running when I start Mach, When I start Mach it takes about 30 seconds before it loads, then Mach displays "Communication open but errror in getting data record" Then Mach displays" Re-start program"

Can anyone tell me what could be wrong?
THanks,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Mach3 and Galil, What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
Double check that that card is registerd properly in the Windows registry, if SmartTerm automatically connects if should be properly registerd but you can always reregister it to be safe, and make sure you REMOVE any registry entried for you old ISA card. mach will try to connect to the first card it sees in the registry and is probably finding the entry for the old ISA card.

Then reinstall the latest mach, and reinstall the latest Galil plug-in, in that order.

I think that should get you going. BTW, the Inputs and Outputs on the Galil are mapped to Port 1 in Mach. You have to go into Pports&Pins and enable then and set them to Port 1 (have to enable the Homes and Limits too).
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply,
Last night I tried all of the above and then some! I uninstalled the galil card, Mach & Galil plugin. Then I re-installed the Galil software. The smartterm connects with no problem. Then I tried it all in a totally different Pc thinking maybe that was it, as the pc was an older p3 ~700mhz. Grasping straws but hey what the heck.
So in this pc same thing. :o
This morning I was reading a Galil bulletin and I discovered what may be the trouble but I won't be able to try untill I get home. In the config ports & pins, I noticed the adress for port 1 is set to 0378 and port 2 is set to 0778. Next I checked the device mangler for the Galil and found the Galil has a different resource setting#.
Would that be why Mach tells me the communication is open but error getting data?
I hope!
Thanks for any help,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »
The Galil plug-in does not make use of the port address. It only looks to see if there are any I/O's under
'Ports and Pins' that are set to Port 1 and active. The card must be registered properly in the Windows registry before the Mach Galil plug-in will work.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
Hey My name is David. I have been using the 1842 Econo for about a month and.... loving it. simple  like the prior post says the 1842 is Plug and play it looks for its own resources.
Today I was testing some 1700 series optimas. I addressed them all the same(these were not plug and play these are later cards where they disabled that) anyway I set then for IRQ5 Dma 1 and address 0338-33b. Turned on the computer went to my comp/properties/device manger. Checked config and res. All correct. Started Mach3 Galil communication started! Great checked Parameters changed all 6 axis to servo. ran program( I had an extra long breakout so I had done this on the work bench to the mill. Started cutting circular bearing journal, nested pockets. Flipped the parts reran program. Perfect!!!!!
I had gave up my old  DMC 1730 that I ran with Camsoft and purchased the econo 1842 so i could run Mach3. I sold 2 weeks ago my CNClite for $1045 before folks find ouy about Mach3 and Galil. I think these 1700 series cards work because Mach3 uses Galil system 7 drivers which are still supported and updated by Galil. they are also used by the 1800 & 2000 series cards and controllers. I put one of the 6 axis cards on Ebay tonite. I am going to keep several for myself. I figure I will use one of the 8 axis cards to control the spindle VFD and add a amp and handwheel for an easy knee. The 1700 optima cards unlike the 1842 take dual Encoder inputs so you can use two axis drives for gantry or encoder following for a simple way to raise and lower the knee. heck I may just put encoders on my Head stock so I can tram it or check the tram easily. With 8 axis what the heck.
Thanks Brain and Art I am so happy to be free from Camsoft.
David in  Hillsborough  ;D
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies,
I tested some more this weekend.
It seems that the Galil card I have,1842 revd2. Has a problem with smart term. The card will communicate and you can send commands ie. TP, TS and smart term is connected. But if I try to get the data record there is a problem. I tried the older DMCterm and the card communicates fine but Mach doesn't seem to work with the older DMC term.
Is it possible I need to upgrade the firmware on the Galil card? Or does anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks for any replies,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
It still sounds like the card is not properly registered (set up in windows registry), it must be before it will work properly. In SmartTerm under Tools there is a Controller Registration option. You might want to first clean out any old registry entries for Galil and then use the 'Controller Registration' option to make sure that it is properly registered.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply,
I did uninstall the Galil card in the device mangler, Uninstalled the galil software, then rei-nstalled the software. I checked the Galil support site & on there I read about removing the card.
I found the adress in the Galil was 9428 interrupt 22. In device manager/system the adress is 2000 interrupt 7.  Could that be the problem?
I tried changing the adress in windows but could not seem to change it. Any idea how to change that?

Regards,
Cutmore

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
Uninstalling/reinstalling the card will not correct registry problems. Read over page 10 in the manual. The software must be installed prior to the card being installed. Remove the card, uninstall the software. Use regedit to find and remove any registration entries for Galil (be careful editing the registry). Reboot. Reinstall the Galil drivers and SmartTerm. Then and only then reinstall the card. Start up Smart Term and it sees you card using the 'Registration' tool.

Hope that helps...

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:04:50 AM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply,
I did everything but the regedit part. I will try that tonight. When I check the adress in the device manager the interrupt is different in windows than it tis in smart term. There is a spot to change settings but in windows it is greyed out. Any idea how to be able to change that? I could not seem to change it in smart term either. I think this is wherein lies the problem but I am kinda grasping straws.
Regards,
Cutmore