Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:50:46 AM

Author Topic: Screen design basics (Using Screen4)  (Read 7479 times)

Screen design basics (Using Screen4)
« on: April 15, 2006, 02:40:17 AM »
Hello Art, Brian, Benny,

I've recently installed Screen4 and have some comments/ questions/ bug? reports...

My monitor is set to 1024x768, so if I am designing a 1024x768 screenset I cannot see the whole screen at once.
Or can i?
IOW, is there a button or means to simply "have a look" at the present state as it will appear without the screen designer tools, etc. IMO, this would be a very useful thing to have for those of us who do not have large resolution screens.  (Yes, I realise I can have M3 running and simply import the screenset to have a look, but it would be nice to do it all within the Screen4 application, IMO.

Bug?  if I close the workspace pane, how do I get it back? (The View menu does not have a checkbox item for it.)

FWIW, I just tried to increase the resolution of my desktop (winxp) to something larger than 1024x768, and was successful to some degree. However, when I then imported the current development version 1024.set; all the DRO's were incrementing in unison. Is this some feature I've missed since I haven't been following the new development very closely?

The Tab flyout screen in the latest M3D-release does not appear properly on my 1024x768 screen in winXP. Adjusting its width to the left to see the whole thing is possible using the win resize slider<->, but is not remembered the next time it's used in that run, or in the next run of the M3 application..

I'd like to see a new support video showing the creation of BMP's/JPG's etc FOR USE in M3. (Benny,Brian, give us a peek at how you're creating the screens you're posting...)

I'd like to understand--in a support video, or by text here--how to use the "invisible "color" in graphics to have "holes" in the screen graphics for DRO's. And any other non-obvious items/functions not already mentioned in the existing S4 video...

IOW, could we have an update to the docs/ videos for screen design; aimed at those who haven't been following the Yahoo discussion thread (where I'm sure this has all already been covered. Someof this I |"knew" and i've just forgotten because it's been awhile since i last used it. Where can i get the most comprehensive and current screen design info for the RELEASE version of M3?) For example, how does one edit a script button in the current M3 release version?

In addition, It might be useful to have perhaps some comments on the intended organisation of the M3 graphics folders, and consids for choosing a .jpg over a .png,. or .bmp (Not to mention HOW to go about these conversions; I mean how to choose the size to make the original, or what makes sense when re-sizing/changing filetypes...

Maybe what I'm asking for is an intermediate Screen design lesson? (Though I feel that some of this is more like the basics)

Thank you in advance,

Ballendo

Re: Screen design basics (Using Screen4)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
Hello, Anybody out there????

What is the point of having a "support" forum if no support is avaialble???

Below are several questions, and suggestions... 81 views and NO replies???

I DID go ahead and ask one of these ON the yahoo group, and got nearly an immediate answer from Art. (re: Regaining the workspace pane if closed)

But I 've still got incrementing DRO's in S4 even after uninstall and re-install a couple times--even using anew directory.

Benny, I'm trying to make use of your preferred forum style, but it's not working for me...

Frustrated,

Ballendo

Hello Art, Brian, Benny,

I've recently installed Screen4 and have some comments/ questions/ bug? reports...

My monitor is set to 1024x768, so if I am designing a 1024x768 screenset I cannot see the whole screen at once.
Or can i?
IOW, is there a button or means to simply "have a look" at the present state as it will appear without the screen designer tools, etc. IMO, this would be a very useful thing to have for those of us who do not have large resolution screens.  (Yes, I realise I can have M3 running and simply import the screenset to have a look, but it would be nice to do it all within the Screen4 application, IMO.

Bug?  if I close the workspace pane, how do I get it back? (The View menu does not have a checkbox item for it.)

FWIW, I just tried to increase the resolution of my desktop (winxp) to something larger than 1024x768, and was successful to some degree. However, when I then imported the current development version 1024.set; all the DRO's were incrementing in unison. Is this some feature I've missed since I haven't been following the new development very closely?

The Tab flyout screen in the latest M3D-release does not appear properly on my 1024x768 screen in winXP. Adjusting its width to the left to see the whole thing is possible using the win resize slider<->, but is not remembered the next time it's used in that run, or in the next run of the M3 application..

I'd like to see a new support video showing the creation of BMP's/JPG's etc FOR USE in M3. (Benny,Brian, give us a peek at how you're creating the screens you're posting...)

I'd like to understand--in a support video, or by text here--how to use the "invisible "color" in graphics to have "holes" in the screen graphics for DRO's. And any other non-obvious items/functions not already mentioned in the existing S4 video...

IOW, could we have an update to the docs/ videos for screen design; aimed at those who haven't been following the Yahoo discussion thread (where I'm sure this has all already been covered. Someof this I |"knew" and i've just forgotten because it's been awhile since i last used it. Where can i get the most comprehensive and current screen design info for the RELEASE version of M3?) For example, how does one edit a script button in the current M3 release version?

In addition, It might be useful to have perhaps some comments on the intended organisation of the M3 graphics folders, and consids for choosing a .jpg over a .png,. or .bmp (Not to mention HOW to go about these conversions; I mean how to choose the size to make the original, or what makes sense when re-sizing/changing filetypes...

Maybe what I'm asking for is an intermediate Screen design lesson? (Though I feel that some of this is more like the basics)

Thank you in advance,

Ballendo

ynneb

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:42:38 AM »
Sorry I was one of the 81 views but I answered the question in another thread of yours.

You asked too many questions for me to want to sit here and type so many answers. :)

I did say in the other thread I would make a video tutorial. I am hoping that will answer all the questions and future questions too. I did try a recording today but for some reason i cant get the file size down to a reasonable level. 100meg for 10 minutes is really bad. I am still experimenting between file size versus quality.

I expect the video will be in a couple of days.

Please be patient with me :) ( Begging)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 06:14:00 AM »
Also guilty of reading and offering no response.  :-[

I'm not sure how easy it is to develop a screen using the same size monitor resolution. I'm running dual screen with a higher resolution so it makes life a lot easier. I have tried dropping the resolution down to 'test' the screen and it's difficult in Screen4. I am using Mach3 to load the screenset in for viewing.

To create the 'invisible' buttons you simply drop an image button on the panel and it will place a default graphic button. right click this and you will see the image location says None. Delete the None text and click ok. You are then left with a clear box that can be resized to cover the active area of your graphic button below.

You may need to click Edit / bitmaps to back.

To edit the scripts you need to be in Mach3.

I'm still learining things so cannot offer a lot more

Cheers

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »
Well All I can say is sorry I don't use Screen 4... If you need a hand running Mach I am there :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
Hi All:

Bitching and frustrations aside. The basic answer here is this... :)

Screen4 is a support utility. It is an advanced utility for those that can figure it out. It is a low priority development
as it is not used by 99% of users, my time is better spent elsewhere on the raft of code Im working on. I will not entertain
added features or "Nice to have's" until I get functionallity on dozens of other issues done.
  Things such as "Display of WYSIWYG type of screens is very low priority. Some explanations will be done, and some
support as well, but only on a basis of when it can be done.

Things are happening in the background on an even newer Screen designer with more functionallity, but its being
done by third parties, so well see how it works out. As a simple programmers utility, its not well documented, or at all for
the most part, but some have made some very nice screens for themselves. Primarily , it is an OEM tool , and one that serves well
on the dozens of OEM screen sets out there that most never see.  We'll see if it can be made better over time.

Some answers though:

If you close a workspace view, you canot repoen it. Answer: Dont close it.

DRO's incrementing in unison:  This is just a display function to show its a "skinned" DRO.. Used by me primarily.. :)

>> to the left to see the whole thing is possible using the win resize slider<->, but is not remembered the next time it's used in that run, or in the next run of the M3

Do it twice in a row, it will then stick and be remembered..

>> here--how to use the "invisible "color" in graphics to have "holes" in the screen graphics for DRO's. And any

Use colour 254,254,254 and that colour is invisiable and see through in bmps.. Not in other image types..

Screen design is somethign that simply gets figured out by analysing others screens or designs and playing with whats available. Im
not free to discuss future plans, but there is much more power for screens coming in several phases. ITs one reason there are no Docs,
they would be wasted effort unitl such functionallity is available. I have committed (or should be) to more functions and screen controls,
but these are all low priority and will sit on the shelf till I catch up on more important user functionallity isssues. Many things will become available
this year for not only screen design, but user functions, but they will tend to appear all at once, as the complexity factor is increasing drastically
on the "to come" functions. I dont discuss them openly as the design specs are changing dynamically as they are being done..

We will however, strive to answer functionallity questions, feature requests on screens though, will be noted, and shelved until they can be worked on..

Thanks
Art