Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 06:17:10 PM

Author Topic: Ref All Home mystery when running the Simulator  (Read 405 times)

Ref All Home mystery when running the Simulator
« on: January 06, 2024, 10:14:15 PM »
Could somebody explain to me what is going on in this use of the Mach4Hobby Simulator please? While waiting for some new controller card hardware to arrive I decided to try out the Simulator but ran into some weird behaviour (as shown in the attached document). The "Ref All Axes Mach Home" button does not produce the result I would expect. When it is selected only the Y coordinate goes to zero, and the X and Z axes do not, even though Mach4 tells me that the operation is complete. I also took a log of the action which is attached.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:29:19 PM by Fordtman »

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
  • what me worry? heck...it ain't my machine anyway
    • View Profile
Re: Ref All Home mystery when running the Simulator
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:13:48 PM »
do you have anything in the work shift? check the Offset table.. ???
any semblance of information posted to anything remotely  close to accuracy is merely coincidence. Use at you own discretion.. or play the lottery.. same odds
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 11:33:33 PM »
Hi cncmagic, there are offset values in my Homing/SoftLimits config (machine.ini attached). I am a relative newby at Mach4 so I may need a hand deciphering things.

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2024, 12:32:27 AM »
if you go to the Offsets tab you can pull up the entire offset table and edit it.. if there are values in the Wok Shift or the active G54~G59 you are telling Mach4 to Home and set the Work Coordinates to this. The machine coordinate's should be zero when you reference (Home) all the axis's. You can see both on the diagnostics screen. Sometimes its a bit confusing.. the Gcode will always go per the Current Position values.. but Homing should always make the Machine axis values zero. So if you click on the little buttons that change between Machine and Current position displays, it often shows different values. And despite my nickname (it was chosen for me) I am not a Mach4 Guru by any stretch.  :P
any semblance of information posted to anything remotely  close to accuracy is merely coincidence. Use at you own discretion.. or play the lottery.. same odds
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2024, 01:28:33 AM »
Hi cncmagic, I had a look at the offsets and everything is zero. I have not set any offsets as I will be using the Zero finding tool that I used in my Mach3 days which I used to set work zero. I want to use the Ref All Axes Mach Home button to reset my cnc before starting a job. In Mach3 they had a button called Ref All Home which moved the spindle to (0,0,0). The movement was built into Mach3.

Offline cncmagic

•  63 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 10:48:40 AM »
try setting HOME IN PLACE since if you are using the simulator you don't have actual motors.. Mach4 itself does not control the homing procedure.. its done in the motor control card you are using.. and that card will generate a signal to Mach4 that the motor is homed.. the setting is under CONFIG/CONTROL/HOMING-SOFTLIMITS.  ???