Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 07:39:22 AM

Author Topic: pokeys57 mach3 MPG issue  (Read 352 times)

pokeys57 mach3 MPG issue
« on: November 10, 2023, 07:33:16 PM »
I have pokeys57 device setup as an MPG. I can select which axis and which step size without issue. Using the pokeys software, i also verified that the encoder wheel works fine.

The issue is that in mach3 the MPG wheel does not move the axis. After a restart, i can select each axis and move them a very small amount, then no more. Sometimes, when i spam the "stop" button and turn the encoder wheel, the axis will also move.

The selected axis LED blinks fairly rapidly, and inconsistently, i.e. the pulses are not all the same duration, but they are always short.

Anyone have any ideas? Not that it should matter, but im not using external pullups, and the selected position shorts the pin to ground whereas the other positions are left floating.

attached are images of the configuration.

Anyone have any ideas on this strange issue? I'm sure its just a simple config issue that I don't know about, as I've never setup an MPG for Mach before.

Re: pokeys57 mach3 MPG issue
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 07:53:05 PM »
forgot to include this. here is the pokeys IO status. Yes, the encoder value increases and decreases when turned as expected.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »
added 2k pullups to +5v on all 7 switch pins. Did not help. Same issue as before.

Don't know if it matters, but i dont have a proper e-stop button setup. cant imagine thats the issue but worth noting.

i'm also using the (infamous) novuson nvum4 rev.2 controller. Perhaps that interfering with proper control?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 12:08:39 PM by super7800 »
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 03:50:19 PM »
tried skipping the selector switches entirely, just use the jog wheel, select everything else in software, exactly as this tutorial says. "cycle jog step" button works on the GUI. "jog Mode" does not, and no axis selector "LED" are lit. If i spam the alt a button really fast in the gui, i can briefly get the "X Led" to illuminate. No idea why. Im beginning to think it may be a novuson driver issue, interfering with the pokeys driver? don't know how that's possible though. weird.

Tutorial i followed to the letter, which i also completely reinstalled mach3 to try: https://www.poscope.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/Pokeys/Manuals/Mach3%20MPG%20setup%20guide.pdf

While writing this, tried switched the encoder in pokeys to B aka DRO 102. Now the "ALTB" button works (image 8). Now I'm almost 100% sure its a novuson driver issue. In any case, there doesn't seem to be options for mpg2 selector switch in the pokeys device settings.

in any case, there seems to be a delay of around 5+ seconds between jog wheel turning and machine movement. this is unacceptable. Is this a pokeys issue? novuson ********* drivers interfering issue? Only used the novuson because i had acquired it from who knows where. Interested to know if that's normal delay or not.

interested to know if there is a solution to prevent novuson drivers from interfering, or if that's even the issue?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 08:19:20 PM »
solved my problem! ( pictured ) it was the damn novuson drivers. Nowhere in the documentation did it mention this. The solution is to set the novuson MPG to NV-MPG mode, not standard-MPG mode. There is no way to completely turn it off i dont think.

in any case, a question: Is the MPG function of the POKEYS57U supposed to have a delay of 5 seconds? (i.e. is that normal?) If it is normal, what other solutions are there that are faster? Most of what this machine does is manual jogging tasks.