Hello Guest it is April 29, 2024, 10:01:33 AM

Author Topic: Upgraded PC but stepper motors are, slow, erratic and jumping.  (Read 321 times)

Offline Del Schier

•  1 1
  • Use CNC to make things for my homebuilt airplane
    • View Profile
Upgraded PC but stepper motors are, slow, erratic and jumping.
« on: November 06, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »
I have been running Mach3 with a little Sable mill and a parallel controller/driver on an old PC. That PC was painfully slow and I could not get it online or on my Windows network so I got a faster Pentium quad core with Windows 7. It had a 64 bit install so I re-installed Win 7 32 bit and Mach 3. The driver installed and LPT1 shows up in device manager. Mach3 is communicating but the steppers instead of moving fast and smoothly when jogging are slow, erratic and jerky. You can see they are not moving properly jumping around as they turn.
I re-installed Mach3 and messed with the LPT settings but no luck. I have no idea what to try. Device manager shows that it is an "ECP" printer port; whatever that is.
Do I have a hardware or software issue?
I would like to run Windows 10 and get a USB all-in-one driver controller if I could find a good one for a reasonable price. All I have found is controllers with poor documentation that require three separate driver boxes. Any reccomendations?
Thanks
Del Schier

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,201 9,201
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded PC but stepper motors are, slow, erratic and jumping.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 01:00:38 AM »
Check the output voltage of your LPT Parallel Port. Measure the voltage on an axis Direction Pin – it should be approx. 5V when you jog that axis in one direction and approx. 0V when you jog in the other direction. If the voltage only gets to approx. 3.3V then that could be your problem.

The PC running Mach3 should be regarded as a 'Machine Controller' and not connected to the Internet or a network. Doing so will result in problems sooner or later.
Avoid any Chinese motion control systems. Not only do they not have any manufacturers support they lack functions that you may later require.

Probably the best way forward, considering you may wish to change to using Mach4 at some later date, is to consider the Warp9TD ESS motion controller together with the Gecko G540 stepper controller.
OK, they are not cheap but if you want reliability, support, quality and a system that is to a large extent ‘future proof’ that, in my opinion, is the way to go.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 03:53:13 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE