Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 11:23:21 AM

Author Topic: ESS Software Velocity FIFO ran out of data  (Read 603 times)

ESS Software Velocity FIFO ran out of data
« on: October 26, 2023, 08:04:24 AM »
Hi
I am running a Mach4 (4.2.0.5036 B 5036) with a ESS (v275) on a i7 (3.6Ghz) PC  with 16GB ram.
The Mill is an old Multicam where I have replaced the controlsystem on by adding a EES/MB3 and some MA860H drivers.
The PC is configured with the Smoothstepper Configuration Utility (v.2.0.5.2) that turns off Windows processes etc.

Now and then a am experiencing lost steps on different axes that ruins my work.
I have tried to reduce the Motor Speeds and Acceleration, adding a condensator on the powersupply and lastly I turned on the "Show Software Velocity FIFO Ran Dry Msgs" checkbox in the ESS Configuration.

When I start up Mach4 now I get the "ESS Software Velocity FIFO ran out of data" error as soon as I make some Axis move and it keeps coming.

I have tried to replace the Network cable between the PC and the ESS and are out of ideas.

Before I start up the work of replacing the PC and reconfiguring a fresh version of Mach4/ESS, I want to check with you guys if the thing I experience are a known problem and maybe not related to my missing steps problem at all.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Gaute Espeland
Norway

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,200 9,200
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: ESS Software Velocity FIFO ran out of data
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 10:16:55 AM »
Have you tried increasing the ESS buffer size ?
Have you tried reducing the ESS plugin frequency ?

Both of these suggestions are made by Warp9 to eliminate the FIFO out of data issue.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »
Have you tried increasing the ESS buffer size ?
Have you tried reducing the ESS plugin frequency ?

Both of these suggestions are made by Warp9 to eliminate the FIFO out of data issue.

Tweakie.

Yes I have tried increasing the ESS buffer size, with no change in result.
BUT I have not tried reducing the ESS plugin frequency, thanks for reminding me.

Do you have any information on the range of change and the possible consequences of getting it too low?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 12:06:00 PM »
There was some trouble with motherboards using the Intel Gigibit Ethernet chips. Drivers were updated by Intel. Any chance that yours could be one of them?
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com